Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I can't win...from the readme file of that template:

Quote- If you wont the SWF flash header without the text

"DESIGNED BY mixwebtemplates.com"

download it here:________________

Which is not free. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Just dump their Flash header. I don't even know how to use Flash to make my own .swf so I'm just going to install a Joomla extension to run a slideshow in that position.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

There is an idea. Thanks. I should be able to replace it with highslide.

Ear

Quote from: gnubler on March 11, 2011, 01:26:19 PMJust dump their Flash header. I don't even know how to use Flash to make my own .swf so I'm just going to install a Joomla extension to run a slideshow in that position.

Wow. Thanks 4 the info, yo.  :cheesy:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on March 11, 2011, 01:26:19 PMJust dump their Flash header. I don't even know how to use Flash to make my own .swf so I'm just going to install a Joomla extension to run a slideshow in that position.
Just fascinating. Tell us more about what you don't know.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

gnubler

Are you saying Aspie's is contagious or am I just extra retarded today?  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Ear

gnubler

Just some gnubler'd Frailerisms, I s'pose.  :huh:

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 11, 2011, 01:07:44 PMhttp://www.sendspace.com/file/me5g96

Ummmmm....that link is this:

Quote from: gnubler on March 11, 2011, 01:00:24 PMIt's nice & clean looking.

I'm testing out this template right now: http://www.bestofjoomla.com/index2.php?option=com_bestoftemplate&task=demo&no_html=1&id=3335

Of course, making all the lovely ladies go away and installing a different slideshow module.

Instead of this:

Quote from: Joe on March 11, 2011, 12:58:00 PMI think I'll try this template with 1.6 and adapt to a newspaper type of site.

http://www.bestofjoomla.com/index2.php?option=com_bestoftemplate&task=demo&no_html=1&id=3817

I'm also finding almost all free 1.6 templates that say they are compatible with Joomla 1.6 are not. They might have worked back in a beta or RC release but none of them work properly in a Joomla 1.6.1 install. Probably too early to be using 1.6.1 now.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on March 13, 2011, 10:08:21 AMProbably too early to be using 1.6.1 now.

Agreed. Like all the dorks who rushed out to upgrade to CS5 as soon as it was released. With web stuff things are more precarious, though.

Joe

Quote from: Joe on March 10, 2011, 11:47:54 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 10, 2011, 11:07:35 PMOK, just read the lyndadotcom newsletter. The USA still has the advantage, IMO, on innovative, scaled-up, clever, service-oriented enterprises like this.
Just thought I'd make a statement,is all. It's Friday Loony Tunes over time, late Friday, and am feeling contemplative.
You may go now.

Quote from: Earendil on March 10, 2011, 11:44:02 AMI'm so happy this thread was started. I was just watching tutorials and trying to decide where to start on this very thing. Very interested.

I'm sure lynda.com is great. For the terminally cheap, thinking of myself here, another good option and FREE is W3 Schools. One of the things I would recommend if you are planning on getting into doing web design/development is to learn CSS. Start with the HTML and then add the CSS. It will make your life easier.

It seems I should retract my endorsement of W3 Schools.

QuoteW3Schools.com is not affiliated with the W3C in any way. Members of the W3C have asked W3Schools to explicitly disavow any connection in the past, and they have refused to do so.

From W3Schools's own footer...

We do not warrant the correctness of [W3Schools] content. The risk from using it lies entirely with the user.
We couldn't put it much better ourselves.
 Although we haven't heard from W3Schools directly, we have noticed that W3Schools has started to correct errors we've spotted. These have been noted here with strikethrough. Although we'd appreciate some communication, we're elated they've taken steps to improve their information.  Despite these attempts, we are not confident that W3Schools can be reliable as an accurate reference in the future. We think the resources we've recommended are superior.

http://w3fools.com/

Looks like better options are:

• HTML Dog is a fantastic and comprehensive intro for HTML and CSS.
  • Opera Web Standards Curriculum covers the basics of web standards-based design in HTML and CSS.
  • Google's HTML, CSS, and Javascript from the Ground Up presents the basics of web development with video tutorials presented by Google's expert web developers.
  • SitePoint is a pretty good reference for HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Their documentation always mentions feature support across different browsers, and describes known browser bugs.
  • The W3C, itself, has a wiki-based general Learn page as well as an HTML element reference.
  •   The MDC (Mozilla's Doc Center) takes over at intermediate CSS and covers JavaScript better than anyone.
     The MDC is also a wiki (little known fact), which means we, as knowledgeable web developers, can add or change information so the pages are as effective and comprehensive as possible