Windows losing connection?

Started by G_Town, October 01, 2007, 06:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

We have a Dell server that keeps dropping the network connection to our other PC's (other pcs can't connect after a couple of hours). So far the only thing that gets it back is a complete reboot of the server. Even when it can't be seen anymore the server can still see other pc's on the network.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joe

Can you ping the server when the other PC's can't connect to it?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Have not tried that yet. Next time it goes awol I'll try.

Chilbear

Before you restart the server, can you see the network, is it responsive? Could be a memory leak or a network card going bad. Has the network had any other server changes that it may be looking for or dependant on (shared folder)?

geozinger

This same thing has been happening to me too, lately. I have several servers for different functions and they keep dropping off of the network with no apparent reason. The only things I can imagine is the Windows update is possibly changing network properties or the constant McAfee updates are @#$@#$! with my machines...

I'm highly frustrated with this, as rebooting these computers puts one heck of a kink in our workflow...

Thanks,
geozinger (George)

Joe

geozinger

Quote from: Joe on October 04, 2007, 08:53:16 AMWhat OS?

Joe, were you questioning me?

If so, we have all XP with Mac OSX 10.3.9 and 10.4.10

Thanks,
geozinger (George)

Joe

The question was for both of you.

I'd check your settings for your network card and turn off the auto-speed detection and change it to whatever speed you need to be using, ie...100 mb, 1000 mb, etc. See if that solves the problem.

Next thing I'd check is if your PC's are network and assigned IP's via DHCP make sure there isn't more than one DHCP server on your network. Your router and your server could both be trying to act as the DHCP server. Make sure there is only one DHCP server active on your network.

geozinger

Quote from: Joe on October 08, 2007, 11:14:57 AMThe question was for both of you.

I'd check your settings for your network card and turn off the auto-speed detection and change it to whatever speed you need to be using, ie...100 mb, 1000 mb, etc. See if that solves the problem.

Next thing I'd check is if your PC's are network and assigned IP's via DHCP make sure there isn't more than one DHCP server on your network. Your router and your server could both be trying to act as the DHCP server. Make sure there is only one DHCP server active on your network.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your suggestions... I remember someone telling me about turning off the auto-detection on the NIC's, I will have to check that. As for the DHCP question, all of my machines whether PC or Mac are static IP addys. I guess that's what is bugging me about this issue, I was hoping that static addresses would keep me from having these kinds of issues.

Anyway, I will start with the NIC's and then try something else. Thanks again!
Thanks,
geozinger (George)

Ear

Static IP should help. Are you using an ethernet HUB or a Switch? A hub behaves a lot like a floating IP whereas a switch makes solid connections. I have a 24 port gigabit switch that I just installed a few months ago... it kicks ass. Also, it's good to use samba when connecting to a peecee from a Mac.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black