Preps/Rampage Plate Centering

Started by Stiv, April 25, 2012, 10:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

I guess my original thread is in China.  So here goes...

I have the CTP device programmed with the new plate size. I have output the Centering EPS from the Preps Punch Utility. I dropped that EPS onto the plate imposition RIP profile and imaged a plate. The test has imaged in the exact center of the plate. That was easy, (too easy?).

I have a template made in Preps for the new plate size. I have a 19x25 test pattern from AGFA that I have imposed onto a 19x25 sheet on that new plate size.

I am using the punch coordinates, X axis - B punch, from another plate size that is just 1mm smaller, 205 vs. 206 mm.

I have an image on the plate, which I am not positive is in the correct position. The press is still 2 days from a testing condition.

Now here is my question/issue. If I use another measurement as my Preps X-Axis, the image barely moves. I have 11.125" entered and if I use 1.125", the image only moves .25" on the plate.  I was hoping the X-Axis measurement would have moved the image on the plate as much as I had adjusted the X-Axis number.

I have not tried to adjust the position using the Press Sheet Edge to Punch Center measurement in the template. I am inclined to leave this as this is a specification from the press.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Joe

It's never going to move the amount you enter and I never did figure a method out other than entering trial and error numbers until I got what I wanted.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I know when we made the move from Preps 5.3.3 to Preps 6.2, the profile for our 26" Komori shifted; the old values were no longer valid. I Output the "punch test," but for me it was worthless. I based my values off the old profile, and then adjusted based on what we put on press. The stupidest thing is that I have the Screen talking to Rampage and it identifies plate measurements... but Preps 6.2 won't accept them. Preps 6.2 will only work properly if I make the dimensions slightly smaller. So basically, the numbers I have plugged in are unique to my environment, and I don't think they would work anywhere else. They also do not correspond to our Komori specs. I think what you do is take the plate size height, divide by two and then subtract the setback to get your x-axis number. From Preps 6.2, even though it previews with the gripper at the bottom, you need to rotate -90 degrees in Rampage (impo RIP) to get the gripper correct on the plate. It's so stupid.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

I have discovered if I back out of Preps while saving everything, and then restarting, the moves match what I am entering.

I'm golden now.  :banana: