cleaning out some old boxes

Started by tuff_gong, January 07, 2013, 10:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duffy

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 08, 2013, 09:55:55 AMwow, this thread is a trip down memory lane.

My First Job® had networking...which was all fancy back in 1990. I remember they looked like phone jacks. What was that? I remember the term "phone net".
Anyways, they had a 9600 baud modem which was blazing fast for the time. They even had a customer whose files went straight to the imagesetter (linotronic).
It was while working there I read about this amazing new storage device that could hold the data hundreds of floppies: A CD storage device.   :old:
So futuristic!

And I thought I was in the future when I got a 40mHZ processor upgrade to my Quadra 950 with - hold on to your hats - 256MB of RAM.

Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

DigiCorn

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 08, 2013, 09:55:55 AMIt was while working there I read about this amazing new storage device that could hold the data hundreds of floppies: A CD storage device.   :old:
oh? you mean the cup holder?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Dug up a Screen-licenced Harlequin RIP manual; like the huge ring binder thingy. Landfill, I guess. Leafing through it makes you realise how far we've come in crunching jobs.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on January 08, 2013, 01:16:11 PMDug up a Screen-licenced Harlequin RIP manual; like the huge ring binder thingy. Landfill, I guess. Leafing through it makes you realise how far we've come in crunching jobs.

I found a pirate copy of harlequin rip 6 in my old disks. Why I needed that I can't recall... might have been using it for creating isvs or whatever we called CIP3 ink settings.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Here's what I found so far:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

ATM..."can get off net"

Really, in 1998/99? I thought the internet was pretty much just AOL back then.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Wow, look at that old Quark box...it's like spotting a saber tooth tiger panther in the Everglades.  :laugh:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

born2print

I still have my pocket pal.  :embarrassed:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Grimace

Quote from: Duffy on January 08, 2013, 09:59:54 AM
Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 08, 2013, 09:55:55 AMwow, this thread is a trip down memory lane.

My First Job® had networking...which was all fancy back in 1990. I remember they looked like phone jacks. What was that? I remember the term "phone net".
Anyways, they had a 9600 baud modem which was blazing fast for the time. They even had a customer whose files went straight to the imagesetter (linotronic).
It was while working there I read about this amazing new storage device that could hold the data hundreds of floppies: A CD storage device.   :old:
So futuristic!

And I thought I was in the future when I got a 40mHZ processor upgrade to my Quadra 950 with - hold on to your hats - 256MB of RAM.

We're talking Hard Drive at 256MB correct?
If I had more than 24mb of Ram with my 6100 I would have been stoked! And that had a 256 mb HD

gnubler

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 08, 2013, 01:59:52 PMWow, look at that old Quark box...it's like spotting a saber tooth tiger panther in the Everglades.  :laugh:

The graphics in the manuals are quite stunning. Very choice.

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on January 08, 2013, 01:54:21 PMATM..."can get off net"

Really, in 1998/99? I thought the internet was pretty much just AOL back then.

:lmao: :lmao:

:hot:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

wish list is hilarious. Trapwise ahahaha... and a clip for your monitor lol
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

I chuckled at that one. I guess my company was really cheap back in the 80s.  :laugh:

born2print

"cleaning out some old boxes"

Reminds me of Brandong  :naughty:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

gnubler

Grimace

All kinds of old stuff around here. Thankfully I got them to finally upgrade.