cleaning out some old boxes

Started by tuff_gong, January 07, 2013, 10:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Someone make me an offer for my Windows 2.0 on 5.25" floppies.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

gnubler

Your disks are too big for my slot.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: born2print on January 08, 2013, 02:36:48 PMWill that run on my 286?

Why yes it will as a matter of fact. Just give me a shipping address and a credit card number and we will be good to go. But just remember...antiques are expensive. :tongue:

Duffy

Quote from: Grimace on January 08, 2013, 02:07:10 PM
Quote from: Duffy on January 08, 2013, 09:59:54 AM
Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on January 08, 2013, 09:55:55 AMwow, this thread is a trip down memory lane.

My First Job® had networking...which was all fancy back in 1990. I remember they looked like phone jacks. What was that? I remember the term "phone net".
Anyways, they had a 9600 baud modem which was blazing fast for the time. They even had a customer whose files went straight to the imagesetter (linotronic).
It was while working there I read about this amazing new storage device that could hold the data hundreds of floppies: A CD storage device.   :old:
So futuristic!

And I thought I was in the future when I got a 40mHZ processor upgrade to my Quadra 950 with - hold on to your hats - 256MB of RAM.

We're talking Hard Drive at 256MB correct?
If I had more than 24mb of Ram with my 6100 I would have been stoked! And that had a 256 mb HD

No - I had $26,000 in RAM on my machine - do not remember the hard drive size but 256 or 500 sound right.
All of our 2ci's had 32mb of RAM and when we went to 8100's, all had 128.
We spent lots of money back then to be cutting edge.  Glad I left, now they don't even have a single person in my old department.
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

Grimace

^ holy crapola! That's some crazy RAM for dem days!

Duffy

Quote from: Grimace on January 08, 2013, 04:25:01 PM^ holy crapola! That's some crazy RAM for dem days!

LOTS of time running photoshop - LOTS of time....
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

tuff_gong

<<Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12>>

Heh. When I ran a comp department at a small newspaper, I banned t-squares. No time. If you can't eyeball it, go elsewhere.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

Stiv

Quote from: Grimace on January 08, 2013, 04:25:01 PM^ holy crapola! That's some crazy RAM for dem days!

I had the first Quadra 950 in town. It cost around $35k and had a Thunder 24 card, and a 1GB Drive.

Grimace

Quote from: Stiv on January 09, 2013, 09:50:28 AM

I had the first Quadra 950 in town. It cost around $35k and had a Thunder 24 card, and a 1GB Drive.

I remember when reading the Preferred System for running Kai's Power Tools was to have that card and drive size. I remember thinking how amazing it would be to get something so huge!

At that same time I convinced my wife I should spend $380 on 8MB of RAM because the market was saturated for a short time and, "It's never gonna get any cheaper than that!"

I was wrong. :laugh:

Joe

I remember stone tablets with a hammer and chisel. :old: