Extract text fields from Indy

Started by Slappy, January 30, 2013, 01:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Here's the deal: We've been doing a boatload of bus cards for a company lately, in the hundreds of people, and now they're starting to come back for reprints on several names, all from different previous runs. The CSR just gives me a list of names, NO previous job numbers and I have to go Searching through all of the jobs. I'm looking to export just one text field from the doc (preferably the name) and bring it into maybe an Excel file so I can reference the job number and keep a master list.

Any ideas if that's easily automated? When I did the first few large lots, I actually cleaned the client's Excel file up then used Data Merge with Character & Paragraph Styles to flow it all into the layout. I can't use that original data though, because they came back & made changes to several of the cards.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

You could create a master card in Fusion pro, and then set it up and link to a .csv.

Our Web storefront also has this option; create a master in PDF Lib Blocks, and then upload a spreadsheet and it will auto generate all the cards.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Tell your CSRs to do their jobs.  :whip: Mine is really good about supplying old job #s.

If you have PDFs of all the BCs a Mac Finder search will find PDFs that contain certain words/names.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 30, 2013, 01:38:42 PMYou could create a master card in Fusion pro, and then set it up and link to a .csv.

Our Web storefront also has this option; create a master in PDF Lib Blocks, and then upload a spreadsheet and it will auto generate all the cards.
Yeah, I have neither of those resources.  :lipsrsealed:

Quote from: gnublerIf you have PDFs of all the BCs a Mac Finder search will find PDFs that contain certain words/names.
That's what I've been doing, in either the PDFs or the Indy file but it's already getting to be time consuming. A few months from now when I have dozens of previous orders it'll be a total cluster.

I think I'll just start combining the Excel files & add a column for the Job # since even if somebody's phone or email or title changed, all I need to reference is their name. I'll just have to copy-paste anybody who was manually typeset but it'll pay off in time.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Greg_Firestone

Are they all kept within a certain directory? I often search for documents using specific key words in the document. Mac 10.x will parse the text of certain file types.  I know it does PDF, not 100% about InDesign, but that might be a easy solution. Just search for "Jim Smith" or whatever and it should show up.

Greg

gnubler

That's the nerdy version of what I attempted to type.  :cheesy:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on January 30, 2013, 02:13:35 PMAre they all kept within a certain directory? I often search for documents using specific key words in the document. Mac 10.x will parse the text of certain file types.  I know it does PDF, not 100% about InDesign, but that might be a easy solution. Just search for "Jim Smith" or whatever and it should show up.

Greg
Yeah, I thought it would too, but it's not finding anything in the Directory. I tried EasyFind too, and it's just slow, although it eventually returns the correct path. For multiple Finds, that  would take forever. Ugh.

Duffy

I got tired of all that BS for repeat cards and just set up a INDD template with the fields and had the reps supply a .XLS file  - that I sent them a template on - and they type in all of the info they want and do a Merge.
Takes a couple of minutes to save the XLS as a CSV and then run through Merge and identify the fields - cards are to the printer in 6 minutes from the time they come in to me.

Still they come back and ask how this card has the wrong info on it :banghead:
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

Slappy

Yeah, I did that with repeat clients at the last shop too. I'd even set up Web2Print templates in Storefront and import the Excel files myself to generate nice PDFs. Not gonna happen here, it's like dragging these CSRs over broken glass to get them to do most anything right. I may suggest it for kicks, but I already know the answer. "Well, it's one of our biggest clients and we don't want to ask them to change the way they do things."

:shoots_self:

Joe

TextWrangler can search for text in files that are not open and it's pretty quick. I've used it a lot for mass changes to preps templates. Not sure if it would search Indy docs though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on January 30, 2013, 06:51:25 PMTextWrangler can search for text in files that are not open and it's pretty quick. I've used it a lot for mass changes to preps templates. Not sure if it would search Indy docs though.

Interesting tip, thx.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on January 30, 2013, 06:51:25 PMTextWrangler can search for text in files that are not open and it's pretty quick. I've used it a lot for mass changes to preps templates. Not sure if it would search Indy docs though.

far out, I use emeditor to do the same thing, and use textwrangler for other things. That will be handy as I don't need to bounce between machines as much (I now have 2 virtual machines running on my mac, and a pc on my desktop as well, over 3 24" screens, kinda sucks).

I have a job I do all the time that the customer requests one record out of a bazillion over several csvs, the only way I have to identify it is by this number and have to search through sometimes 5-6 csvs.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

Very handy Tip!!!

thanks Joe, learn't sompin' new ever day..  (in my best country boy speak)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca