Crack free digital stock

Started by Skryber, February 20, 2013, 06:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

Anyone experienced with crack free digital stocks and which are you using? I cannot remember what we used at the last shop but I do remember it was a damn lie.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Duffy

Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigiCorn

We pretty much exclusively run Kelly Digital stock, but it does crack on the fold. We have a few jobs we don't score, but scoring solves the issue... for the most part.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

If it doesn't work with scoring, a lot of the time it's because of the grain direction of the paper. Going against the grain, will cause it to crack like Tap's forehead. Depending on ink coverage and IF the file cannot be rotated, it may not be feasible.
Member #285 - Civilian

Skryber

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 20, 2013, 10:19:40 AMIf it doesn't work with scoring, a lot of the time it's because of the grain direction of the paper. Going against the grain, will cause it to crack like Tap's forehead. Depending on ink coverage and IF the file cannot be rotated, it may not be feasible.

Even with grain direction, it still cracks. The digital lines only.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Duffy

Ours cracked until I went out and watched the guy running the score machine - he was scoring the wrong side of the sheet.  :banghead:
Said that was how he always did it.  Scored other side of sheet and far fewer problems with cracks on all of our GS sheets.
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

t-pat

we have a channel scoring system on our folder, it's similar to the ones made by Technifold USA. - I highly recommend their products and service. Check it out if you are interested in high quality scoring and perfing on your folder.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Just tell your customers they can't have any printing where the fold is.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

Quote from: gnubler on February 20, 2013, 11:55:22 AMJust tell your customers they can't have any printing where the fold is.

Still cracks but less noticeable. We used to run offset stock on fold jobs because of this. We're working with another printer and this issue has come up. I'm just curious about the "no crack" stock because we didn't have any luck with it. I wish I can remember what it was called.

gnubler

Just run everything on 20# bond. It doesn't crack.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

it's not even necessarily the stock that cracks. Toner does too. Figure a layer of baked on plastic is going to be brittle.

You can minimize the cracking on any stock by scoring with the grain instead of cross grain, so maybe look into getting or cutting your stock with the grain of the score.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Skryber

20# likes to get sucked onto the belt.

Skryber + digital printers =  :cry: :tantrum: :wife::hangme: :shoots_self: :banghead: :death: