Section Sewn impo help please

Started by Exploded, May 09, 2008, 06:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1657.msg27178#msg27178 date=1210904327
Quote from: Earendil on May 15, 2008, 01:47:05 PMIn that case, you really don't need to worry about bleed because there is no bleed at the spine on a preps template in the first place.

Ummmm...there is on a perfect bound book isn't there?

If you leave it default, yes. I turn it off on perfect bound for glue, like I am sure most of us do. I think what Ear meant was, if it has no spine, no need for bleed. That's how I took it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on May 15, 2008, 08:37:22 PMIf you leave it default, yes. I turn it off on perfect bound for glue, like I am sure most of us do. I think what Ear meant was, if it has no spine, no need for bleed. That's how I took it.

Yeah, we used to knock it out of the gutter for the glue when I worked for Quebecor. We don't where I'm at now though. I even told them they should not have ink where the glue goes but they worry the customer will see a sliver of white. Knock yourself out boys and don't come bitching to me when the pages start falling out of the book.

Anyway that's why I said earlier to turn the bleed off at the spline side so I think we're all saying the same thing. Just in a different way. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Exploded

I ended up having to do it in 13 different saddle stiched impos  :blowup:

The poor printers didn't know what was going on ...

Joe

I don't think there was a need to do that but whatever works.

Ear

What I meant Joe, is that when two imposed pages in Preps touch (like at the spine of a saddle stitched) the art on those pages stops and doesn't bleed onto the other page. It bleeds into the gutter of the grind on perfect bind but this isn't really perfect bound, it's stacked, saddle stitched sigs. Sure the sigs stack like perfect bound but the bleed stops at the spine instead of crossing over to the other page on the printer spread.

The only time you have to kill bleed on two pages that touch in preps is when working with independent pages or if there's a gutter. No gutter, no bleed.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Makes sense. All my perfect bound jobs have the gutter so it goes into the gutter. Never tried a perfect bound without gutters myself. Thanks for that tip.

Ear

Yeah, me neither Joe, everything I do PB needs grind and spine indicators which necessitates the removal of bleed on the page 1 spread of each sig.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black