Bar code plugin for Indesign

Started by David, September 30, 2008, 09:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimmy3

Quote from: david on October 02, 2008, 08:30:04 AMone golden rocket pony to the first to tell me what kind of code it is!

It's A Barcode :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Because it feels good !

David

Logan, yours looks like the ones I've been making.
One thing to look for is the three lines at the start of the barcode. There should be three thin lines (1x) and then a 2x line.
(1x is the thin, 2x is twice as thick as the 1x, 3x is 3 times as thick as the 1x).

I've been told that you can tell what the type of barcode is by the last three lines of the code, but I don't know what this one is.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

ooohhh Zimmy, you're too smart!

one golden rocket pony coming your way!

thanks!

oh wait, I knew it was a barcode, so do I get the rocket pony, too?
Livin' la Vida Loca

EyeTech

http://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/generator/

You could try this site - we used it for an ISBN code and it worked for us.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

David

thanks Eyetech, but to use that site you first have to know what kind of barcode you want produced.
ie code 128, code 39, code 93... etc.
I need to know what kind of barcode I'm looking at.
I can make all I want with my software.
Livin' la Vida Loca

LoganBlade

Talk to my mail room guy he said he never heard of it as well. Not sure if i just missed it  but wat exactly are teh bar codes going to be used for?

I know your laying out multiple on a page and you even need for shipping labels so might it be a post regualtion bar. I guess knowing the use might help other and myself help more. No one seems to know what typ A is.

Mailroom guy just looked at me funny  :shocked:
"dyslexics have more fnu"

EyeTech

Quote from: david on October 02, 2008, 11:43:24 AMthanks Eyetech, but to use that site you first have to know what kind of barcode you want produced.
ie code 128, code 39, code 93... etc.
I need to know what kind of barcode I'm looking at.
I can make all I want with my software.

OK sounds like a Universal Product Code A UPC-A...try this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

David

hold on....

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!

Eyetech you have a golden rocket pony coming your way along with a tall cold one!

It is in fact a UPC A, but all jacked up and messed with.
Of course, nothing out of a box will do, we have to dink with it.

:blowup:

cheers and thanks for all you guys help!

David
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Hey guys!
It's time again to visit this old thread.

It's 2016 and I now need a barcode generator for Indesign. Do any of you know of or have a script that would help with generating 10,000 barcodes in Indesign (variable data style)? Needs to be a code 14 (which I believe is now a Code 128). Needs to have he barcode as well as the human readables.

TIA,
Dave
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

I found an old indesign secrets page that was recommending Teacup Software, don't know how much it cost.
Not sure if your looking for free software but I'm also interested if you find something.
I think Born might be doing some barcodes over there.

http://www.teacupsoftware.com/product/barcodemaker/

Booooooornnnn where are you? :laugh:

David

I am using the Teacup demo right now, thanks Tracy!

It works pretty well, allI need now is a script to do 10,000 of these badboys.
Livin' la Vida Loca

pabney

Before we started using XMPie, we used an IDAutomation plug in to do this. It is not a plug in for Indesign, but a plugin for Excel.
You create a new calculation field in Excel that creates the data needed. Export as a csv file and just use a font in Indesign.
Take a look here:  http://support.idautomation.com/Code-128/How-do-I-create-Code-128-in-InDesign-using-Excel-for-Windows/_1853

What kind of time frame are you looking at. If you are not under the gun to much, I might be able to help you with a script for Teacup this afternoon. Just need a sample of the data file you are using. I have never used the Teacup software, but I do a bit of AppleScript.

David

Thanks pabney,
I have the XL file the cust sent me, it's just 10000 records (14 digit numbers) that I need as Code 128 Barcodes.
Send me your email addy and I'll let you look at it.

Thanks!
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Just want to give a BIG THANKS!!!  to pabney for all his help.
He hooked me up with the barcodes and additional assistance to get it all to work.

Thanks a ton Paul, I owe you a big drink!!!

Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Wow! Super Duper!
Do you know how to do it now?