Pantone Color Bridge

Started by kermit, September 26, 2007, 09:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

How do you deal with this?

As you know cmyk values from the Pantone Bridge are different from older apps. Eg. make PMS 300 in Quark 7 and convert to cmyk and do the same in Quark 6 and convert to cmyk. You will get different cmyk values. What do you do?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

David

just pick one or the other.
they all have different PMS look up tables, even in the Adobe product line (ID to Illy to PS)

we gave up on jackin' with it, and just picked one.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

kermit

Let me be a more specific. What do you do if you had a job done in Quark 6 let say a year ago. Client had PMS color specified by error but the job was suppose to be 4C, so you converted to cmyk and printed on the press. Now client sends new ad with the same PMS used that again suppose to be cmyk. Job is in Quark 7. Now, you know that if you convert this PMS to cmyk you will get a different color values from the job you printed year ago. What do you do?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

doubting_thomas

I'd sample the old conversion of the swatch, make a new spot swatch in Q7 (I assume this is the stumbling
block), of those CMYK values and name it something that Quark would use in DeviceN. I think that should work.

kermit

Of course it would work. But what if you did not remember that such a PMS was used before? Do you by default ask client if they used that color before in Quark 6 or if they want new cmyk values from the bridge or old?

Joe

I tell any of our Quark 7 customers that the Pantone to CMYK values have changed in Quark 7 so be aware of it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

Quote from: Joe on September 28, 2007, 01:33:17 PMI tell any of our Quark 7 customers that the Pantone to CMYK values have changed in Quark 7 so be aware of it.
How do you do that Joe?

Do you personally tell your Sales people to tell traffic managers of the ad agencies? By email? newsletter? per each Quark job you will get? Or do you tell this to the actual designers in ad agencies that assemble the stuff?

David

chances are you won't be able to match last years run on press anyway (we can't do it here even if we ran it yesterday!).
Are the mixes in question that far apart?
can you check the old files and use the old mix (like what doubting_thomas said)? that would be the safest thing to do.
Livin' la Vida Loca

kermit

Quote from: david on September 28, 2007, 02:12:54 PMchances are you won't be able to match last years run on press anyway (we can't do it here even if we ran it yesterday!).
Are the mixes in question that far apart?
can you check the old files and use the old mix (like what doubting_thomas said)? that would be the safest thing to do.
No, nothing bad happened yet but I know that it will happen if I not address it somehow... once more Quark 7 files would come. I am about to put Quark 7.3 on my laptop next week

doubting_thomas

Quote from: kermit on September 28, 2007, 01:22:08 PMOf course it would work. But what if you did not remember that such a PMS was used before? Do you by default ask client if they used that color before in Quark 6 or if they want new cmyk values from the bridge or old?

We cheat. We don't support Quark 7 on either platform. We don't use Color Bridge either. Because of this
it's not a problem at this point. I'd handle it like Joe if we received a color critical piece that was an update
from an older version for a client. Just another thing I'm aware of that I don't have to worry about right now.

David

Quote from: kermit on September 28, 2007, 02:15:19 PMabout to put Quark 7.3 on my laptop next week

watch out for massive file bloat!!!

your mileage may vary
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: kermit on September 28, 2007, 01:48:52 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 28, 2007, 01:33:17 PMI tell any of our Quark 7 customers that the Pantone to CMYK values have changed in Quark 7 so be aware of it.
How do you do that Joe?

Do you personally tell your Sales people to tell traffic managers of the ad agencies? By email? newsletter? per each Quark job you will get? Or do you tell this to the actual designers in ad agencies that assemble the stuff?

We don't go through sales, traffic or CSR's. The prepress operators pick up the phone and call the customer which may or may not be the designer. We just tell whomever we get to talk to. We also tell all of our customers that if it's going to print in CMYK they should design it in CMYK because CMYK isn't going to match the Pantone color anyway,
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pmhapp

Pantone Color Bridge?  That's old news.  How 'bout Pantone Goe?

kermit

Quote from: pmhapp on September 28, 2007, 09:13:35 PMPantone Color Bridge?  That's old news.  How 'bout Pantone Goe?
Don't worry about that as no application supports it yet. Besides with Goe there will be no problem as every Goe color has a NEW (and different name).