Will the CS4 live preflight feature make a difference?

Started by Laurens, October 09, 2008, 02:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurens

Last week Ton, the local Adobe guru, demoed InDesign CS4 for us. I immediately liked its live preflight feature which seems capable of informing designers about lots of common production issues while they work on the layout. It is fairly surprising that the application doesn't seem to ship with some reasonable presets. Has anyone made any or is this instant preflighting idea too good to be true?
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

frailer

Went to an Indy User Group demo of CS4 features here in Sydney last week. It looks as though it will work, but all I could think as they were demo'ing it was: "...and who's gonna talk to the designers about actually using it and acting on it. But I'm a cynical old bastid these days...     :rolleyes:   How badly do designers want to know what errors they're committing on the fly...     :laugh:

There are some other neat features in CS4 across the board, but mostly of benefit to designers...also quite a few web app "integrating" features; but of limited relevance to print media...least that was my first impression. I'd be happy to be corrected.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

EyeTech

Quote from: frailer on October 09, 2008, 04:03:41 PMHow badly do designers want to know what errors they're committing on the fly...     :laugh:

You must be freakin' joking - designers generally don't give a rat's a$$ about file problems. They just hand them file over to the printer and then expect free preflighting/problem solving.

Round 'em all up, put 'em against a wall and...(fill in the blank)
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

almaink

Seems like more bloat to me. The more stuff Adobe adds to applications, the more unresponsive they seem to get when working with large files. They add all these "neat" things but still haven't addressed other issues, like "Failed to create PDF", "Adobe PDF engine has quit". I'd also like to know if they fixed the stripping of OPI comments issue in PDF's that started in CS3.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Stiv

Got my first CS4 Indy job in and I haven't even got it yet!

Gotta love customers who are way ahead of the curve.

mattbeals

Markzware is going to have a field day with this assuming that they did NOT license this to Adobe.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

T

Quote from: mattbeals on December 01, 2008, 02:44:38 PMMarkzware is going to have a field day with this assuming that they did NOT license this to Adobe.

License what??
It's just looking for the items all designers forget about.

Joe

Quote from: T on December 02, 2008, 01:02:11 PM
Quote from: mattbeals on December 01, 2008, 02:44:38 PMMarkzware is going to have a field day with this assuming that they did NOT license this to Adobe.

License what??
It's just looking for the items all designers forget about.

Markzware is under the impression they invented looking for missing items. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

T

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

T

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: T on December 02, 2008, 01:46:17 PMGood guess. But just old dog toys there.

For your dog "Stay." As in, C'Mere, Stay, C'Mere Stay! (Steven Wright Joke.)
Member #285 - Civilian

T

DigitalCrapShoveler

He's still around. I have seen him in a few movies and TV shows. Funny MoFo!
Member #285 - Civilian

T