News:

Main Menu

booksmart

Started by Repro Man, February 20, 2009, 10:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repro Man

Hey guys... Here's a new one...
Just had a client supply their brochure artwork as a booksmart (.bookexport) file.
This is from the free software you can download at blurb.com specifically to design books to be printed and distributed by blurb.com
I'm guessing this means that only blurb.com can print from these bookexport files and the the booksmart software isn't going to allow my client to save something more useful. Such as a PDF.
Any of you come across these before? Is there anything we can do other than tell the client to go home and start again on some proper software? Like Publisher or Quark for example? Or maybe Word...
Cheers!
F*@k it!! I'll do it for free then!! Bloody salesmen...

David

Print Artist Platinum, get with the program!

booksmart...

yeah, sounds like one of those

Have you tried to download the free software?

good luck!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Repro Man

Naaah... Pushed it back onto the client. Our specs say what software we support and booksmart ain't on the list.
Only 45 minutes 'til the weekend begins! Yay!!
 :grin:
F*@k it!! I'll do it for free then!! Bloody salesmen...

David

well, there you go.
only 45 minutes?

jez, where did the day go...

you could spend the last few minutes downloading the crap demo software...
but then again, who cares!

haha! have a good en!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

hotmetal

I just had to know. From their FAQs:

Can I get a PDF copy of my book?

You sure can create a PDF of your book. It's a great way to print and proof it. Keep in mind that your PDF won't include your book's cover and it'll have a Blurb watermark that appears over the pages, but don't let that stop you. Here's how to get your PDF:

Mac

Blurb BookSmart itself doesn't have an "Export to PDF" function. If you're running BookSmart on a Mac, select Print from the File menu, and then choose Adobe PDF as your printer. Please know that if you're making a huge book, this can take a while.

PC

To do the same on a PC, you'd have to purchase the Adobe Acrobat application or download a similar utility, such as CutePDF which you can download for free.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson