Print from Dyna_help

Started by frailer, October 22, 2007, 02:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa

frailer

Hey santa, first live Dyna job out this evening. A simple 32pp mono, but hey, ya gotta crawl first. Still wrestling with printing Page numbers outside of trim, [use text tags>pagenm...or something similar]. Still not sure about changing the notations in the text tag for outputting a different version...say replacing 3 pages of the 8, then renaming. I want the text tag to ID the new job...where do you change that field before you reprint?

The bit I REALLY like is printing from PDF in> PDF out. Zap! I can't wait to kiss PostScript's arse goodbye.  :P
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Santa

frailer mi amigo:

there are no simple jobs with dynastrip ;D

Under the object tool bar there is the text tag tool which it sounds like you found.

there is a variables tab and that should give you the extension you need than you can just save it as "outside pages #'s" or whatever and than you can select and place with cursor.

there may be an easier way, but this is what I do.

here is a screen capture as well.

frailer

Thanks for the reality check...I was getting over-excited; how embarrassment, Effie! [sorry, Aussie comedy show]. Thanks too for the screen shot. Have been "groping" around in there. Bit like Tutenkamen's Tomb, really.

One thing, if I could. Today, when I tried to substitute 3 pages into a signature, I got them in the right place OK, but it threw pages that weren't supposed to change, somewhere else. Tried it every which way but loose. The Fuji people here reckon it's not flaky, [Dyna-not my job], but others say otherwise. Tried answering yes and no to the question about "custom pagination" at print-out time. Didn't sem to make any diff. Shall pursue it further next week.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Santa

Your from Australia?  well the first thing you have to do is rotate your mouse 180 degrees ;) (bad American Humor)

onto pages...
could be many things, naming issue may be one , dyna has settings somewhere (not sure where Pitman handled this on install) where it says how many charecters it reads in the links and sometimes your job number + page numbers get too long like 2756887pg12, it might drop off the 2 so pages start flipping.

Also when you place the links into the run list there is "add" or "add with options" where you can choose exactly where to place the file and if it's static or not.

Most important thing I can tell you is DO NOT save your file with the full res preview of your signature on.  This has a tendancy to not save your file and then when you go too look for it later it's gone.

File won't crash or anything spectacular if you do save it with the previoew on, it's just we found a 50-50 chance the job template really did not save. So last save should always be with the preview off.

If you loose a template for some reason we found they sometimes end up in a "recued File" folder that's in the Dyna Appp folder.

Enjoy!!!!

frailer

Gotta go in tomorrow; press running "critically late" job. While I'm there, gonna try and do a tricky impo manually [semi...sorta], in Dyna. Shall try and use Flatwork/one side visibilty. reckon I can bring in the 8 pp. 1 at a time, with Options, and have the pages "paginated" beforehand. Then print that 8. Open the PDF, quick check. Remove file & run list; bring in next 8... etc.
Might take an hour, but am convinced I can't even do this in PREPS without it wanting to be a Binding Style. Have posted in the PREPS area, if you wanna have a look at the job detail. Will let you know how I go. i'll be chuffed if it works!  :-\

Joe

frailer,

you can do flat work in Preps too. Just an FYI...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yeah, was having a re-think on that...after posting.  :-[  But, just to get this one out this time, a [semi] manual impo's gonna be a bit quicker/easier in Dyna, I think. Partly cos I've got used to that aspect of it.

frailer

Not critical, but Santa, or anyone...Is this an example of Template flakiness...that only 1 sig comes in? Swear I saved all 3 as a Template.
The shot with the single sig is the attempt to "Import Template".

Santa

Hey frailer,

I've never seen that before, but i was given some insight from a Dyna tech person that some of this may be related to "Apples spotlight search engine"

I got this from Dyna gram 

"They say that there is a strong probability that your problems with DynaStrip might have something to do with Apple's Spotlight search engine. This is a common malfunction related to Mac which interferes with DynaStrip and many other programs on the market. To resolve the problem, follow these steps:

Go in the Apple menu and select System preferences.
Select Spotlight and click on Privacy tab.
Click on the add button (+) and select the entire DynaStrip application folder. Note: If you have any other working versions of DynaStrip on that computer, select them also.

This procedure will prevent Spotlight from searching anything related to DynaStrip and interfere with the application.

If cutting DynaStrip from Spotlight's radar doesn't work, the problem might be related to antivirus interference. Try disabling your antivirus program."

Not sure if this is what is causing your problem but it's all I got!!!!

Hope you had a great New Year Frailer!!!!

frailer

Thanks Santa, shall look into it today. Trust you had a great one too!

frailer

Did the "Privacy" thing anyway, Santa. Nothing to lose.
Some progress, though. Each sheet was saved as a Template; placed in same folder. I could then select all 3, and thus end up with the impo required.
Shall see if I can find that fine detail in the PDF manual. Could be expecting too much...maybe this is how it does it.
Shall leave you alone for a while after this...promise.  :D

frailer

Thanks again Santa. Finally came to grips with Template creation...more help from Prepress Training than the manual, TBH. Yeah..it's templates via sheets, of course... ::) :-[.
If I can avoid your "disappearing templates" problem, I should be up and running. Here's hoping. Might have time tomorrow, [slight lull], to build a Library of our common page sizes/impos. Now that'd be progress!
It's sure ain't an intuitive program, though...like Save to Library...ya gotta click on the impo [WTF]...well I have got it open there, haven't I?  ::)
At last got "Apply Pagination" to work, as well...another little breakthrough. Cheers.

Santa

Nice Frailer, I think you have eclipsed my knowledge already and I've been on it for 4 years.

Back to the Training Manuals myself!!!

:-[

frailer

Yeah, well...I'd only consider myself as just left the "confused zone"...no more! But that still feels OK, mind... :D
My next query will be why it has restrictions on where you can place a work and turn section. PREPS doesn't quibble about that. I've got a feeling that V5.x may have addressed this, not before time if it has.
What I do like is that PDF in> PDF out thing, [though am aware that PREPS can do that as well...]. Once you've got the basics set up, I love the way it prints the Sigs...zap. All ready for Print Engine upgrade...in my dreams, at the moment. Fuji have just set up a site in our city; they're working on training them into it right now. Will be interesting to see how they like it.
...anyways...you've been an invaluable help in my "WTF-am-I-doing" phase of Dyna... ;D