Cable slowdown_possible reasons

Started by frailer, November 04, 2010, 05:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Here's as good as anywhere. We have relatively slow internet here, even on cable. But suddenly, last night, big slowdown, continuing into this morning. Could be the ISP, which is our 'giant', Bigpond. Or could be something else. Other than accessing the modem interface, (new modem, haven't researched that yet), is there another way of clocking upload/download speed? An OSX freebie app of some sort?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 04, 2010, 05:05:36 PMHere's as good as anywhere. We have relatively slow internet here, even on cable. But suddenly, last night, big slowdown, continuing into this morning. Could be the ISP, which is our 'giant', Bigpond. Or could be something else. Other than accessing the modem interface, (new modem, haven't researched that yet), is there another way of clocking upload/download speed? An OSX freebie app of some sort?

http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-test/
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Where you find this chit, Joe?   :embarrassed:  My excuse is I was rushing to get to work at the time. I'd risen hoping to find speed reinstated. It wasn't.   :sad:

I'll try when I get home. Thanks.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

mattbeals

If you're seeing a "big slowdown" then it could be anywhere on the ISP's connection to you, their up stream links, NOC's or peering connections. If a link went down then other links try and pick up the slack. There could be peak usage on undersea cables, microwave connections or satellite connections. The internet is designed to be somewhat resilient and ISP's design their networks the same way. So something must have gone down for maintenance, some sort of physical or logical failure or it's just that busy... You can check the modem all you want but it's not going to help. You're at the ass end of the internet connection. You don't have any way of checking for better speeds from you office unless you have a second internet connection from a different ISP. And they may even aggregate their bandwidth with your ISP's locally or distantly. Eventually everyone in your neck of the woods aggregates to undersea cables or satellite connections. Any typhoons in the area?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Quote from: mattbeals on November 04, 2010, 06:05:23 PMYou're at the ass end of the internet connection.

...and the world...   :laugh:  Yeah. A long way from here to b4p's server. But even trying to access ISP's site to check month's usage, was timing out. Accessed OK from work here. Different ISP though.
Shall see how it is when I get home. Whirlpool forums may have some chatter, assuming I can get on.   :undecided:  Come to think of it, I'll look there now...

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 04, 2010, 06:24:18 PM
Quote from: mattbeals on November 04, 2010, 06:05:23 PMYou're at the ass end of the internet connection.

...and the world...   :laugh:  Yeah. A long way from here to b4p's server. But even trying to access ISP's site to check month's usage, was timing out. Accessed OK from work here. Different ISP though.
Shall see how it is when I get home. Whirlpool forums may have some chatter, assuming I can get on.   :undecided:  Come to think of it, I'll look there now...

Reminds me of the other day when I lost internet service for almost 12 hours. All I could do was look at the blank screen and wonder what kind of mischievous stuff gnubler was up to.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on November 04, 2010, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: frailer on November 04, 2010, 06:24:18 PM

Reminds me of the other day when I lost internet service for almost 12 hours. All I could do was look at the blank screen and wonder what kind of mischievous stuff gnubler was up to.

Duty never ends, does it....   :rolleyes:

Joe

gnubler

Don't blame me for the depopulation of this website. Or, maybe.... :cry:

I'm nowhere near techy enough to do anything malicious, plus I'm not criminally minded.

The broadband pipes crossing the oceans are blatant targets. Only a matter of time.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Musta been one of Matt's scenarios. Back to full speed.   :cheesy:

Farabomb

Funny, first thing I thought was Gnub's gremlins took a vacation down under.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on November 05, 2010, 07:38:30 AMFunny, first thing I thought was Gnub's gremlins took a vacation down under.

You too huh? :evil:

Syphon

Frailer, didn't I read that Australia's government was going to spend a ton of money on upgrading the web there?
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

Quote from: Syphon on November 05, 2010, 05:49:23 PMFrailer, didn't I read that Australia's government was going to spend a ton of money on upgrading the web there?

Yes. Huge shitfight/debate. We are clumped in a few large cities, so servicing low population density regions is a political issue, as those areas tend to have political clout.
Current government is heading to laying fibre-optic, large scale, which here, given the spread, is hugely expensive. They have made it a government project, tendered, rather than make it a private investment setup. Hence the debate, as some 'experts' are saying it could be done much cheaper. How average person is supposed to form an opinion on this, I have no idea. I don't think they even know to what extent it will be FTTH vs FTTN. (fibre to the home vs. fibre to the node). A big difference. It would take a half hour a day to keep up with  the debate on it. It will be hugely expensive, no matter what. But we are slipping behind the world on this, so something has to be done.

Oh, and touched you noticed, Syphon.  Australia would be off most USers radar, correct?   :laugh:  I bet you saw our red-headed Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, talking to Hilary on the box recently.  I think they pretty much hit it off. PM told Hilary that her visit here, "will be fun".  Planning to go to a Chipmunks Club?   :undecided:

gnubler

Huh?

Got all excited at mention of this "Chipmunk's Club", thought it might be something I could join to exchange nuts and clever techniques at bringing the human race down to its knees. Then I clicked on that image.

:vomit:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david