Previous topic - Next topic

David

what took you so long?

long lunch?

:laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

The insanity of web development mainly. I had an issue yesterday where an article with text and 5 images wasn't displaying correctly and the lightbox effect wasn't working for the photos. Two hours later I found it was because a lightbox caption for one of the photos had double quotation marks in it and screwed the whole page up. The double quotation marks for the regular photo caption worked fine but using the same caption in the lightbox settings blew the whole thing apart. :death:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Man, I know hunting down hose thing can take ages, you'll go blind staring at the code looking for whatever it is that's screwing it all up.
The store front we use is real picky about spaces in the image names and any of the variable file names. It took me forever to find just the one that had a space in it that was jacking up the entire page.

Congrats on the finish.
Can we see a preview?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

PM me for URL.

David

very nice Joe.
I did notice a little space left for a few more ads...

oh, and this nugget
QuoteThe Breese Journal is written and designed using desktop publishing software.

PAP?

Should I email webadmin@thebreesejournal to find out?    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on November 18, 2011, 11:19:39 AMvery nice Joe.
I did notice a little space left for a few more ads...

oh, and this nugget
QuoteThe Breese Journal is written and designed using desktop publishing software.

PAP?

Should I email webadmin@thebreesejournal to find out?    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Those are some local advertisers that we gave free ads to for the first couple of weeks. If we sell one ad at the price we are asking we'll be very profitable. :laugh:

It's always a delicate balance trying to get the sidebars to be filled with the exact amount of content as the articles. Hence, some white space. :wink:

And give me a break...PAP? We're not that advanced. Just plain old Adobe InDesign. :tongue: (I didn't write the content...just put it where it is.)

Sure, go ahead and email ME! :laugh:

David

and I like the little Facebork floater on the right, nice touch.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on November 18, 2011, 11:48:01 AMand I like the little Facebork floater on the right, nice touch.

I went looking for a Joomla extension for that and couldn't find anything I liked so I created that myself from code I found on that net. I surprised myself when it actually worked. :laugh:

David

niceeeee.
It's great when a plan comes together.
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on November 18, 2011, 12:17:29 PM
Quote from: david on November 18, 2011, 11:48:01 AMand I like the little Facebork floater on the right, nice touch.

I went looking for a Joomla extension for that and couldn't find anything I liked so I created that myself from code I found on that net. I surprised myself when it actually worked. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure there is an extension for it (bit late now though) - take a look at a friend's site http://5ringsfitness.net/ (wife set this up for him and he's sort of mangled it but he's fully maintaining it now himself, so that says something for joomla, dude's a total noob)

Down on the right column there's his facebook and twitter feeds.  Not a floater though. "Activity Stream"
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Yes, there is an extension for those but I didn't like it cluttering up the sidebar. For the Facebook one you don't even need an extension. Just grab the code from Facebook and add it to a module. I wanted it in a slide drawer that slid out when a user clicked the button. That way it stays out of the way unless the user opens it. I found a couple of extensions that were close but one didn't work correctly and the other one was pretty intrusive in that it came popping out if your mouse even got close to the edge of the browser window.

t-pat

my friend apparently likes cluttering up the everything :)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait