Support ends for XP on April 8, 2014

Started by DigiCorn, March 31, 2014, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Also, I'm not sure the buses in most computers can handle the throughput of a 6g SSD RAID array. That's a hell of a lot of bandwidth and I'm not sure the internal buses are that fast yet leading to a bottleneck.

Then again I've been out of the bleeding edge computing scene for a while now so things may have changed.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 30, 2014, 09:58:22 AMHow many USB drives/RAM sticks have you had fail vs. how many HDD failures have you had? I know I've had far more memory chips die on me than HDD's.

I think it has to do with the finite amounts of writes you can do with NAND chips. This will not always be the case though. I know they are working on drives and chips that get around this.

Actually I've had a rash of bad HD's lately. I've got two 2 TB, two 1 TB, and two 500 gb drives less than a year old that have failed. I have been able to reformat all of them and use them for about 2 weeks and then they fail again. Lather, rinse, repeat...weird. Run a disk utility and they check fine but none of them will work after about a new 2 week cycle.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Hmm, strange. I have 10 year old HDD's that have been submerged in 2 floods and they still work. I don't use them for long term storage but I do use them to transfer large files.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah I have some really old hard drives too that still work but it seems anything from the last year that I have bought are crap. And they are a mixture of Seagate and WD drives.

Farabomb

Crap, those are normally my go-to manufacturers but the only drive I've bought recently have been 2 SSD's and a enterprise Seagate.

Hope that doesn't shit the bed. Excuse me while a go do a backup.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I haven't had any issues with enterprise drives or SSD's which is why I just bought the SSD the other day.

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

It's a pretty serious bug. It's the least they could do.

Designia(o_O)

Wow, that's really cool they did that, but if your using IE with a unsupported OS, it's kind of the equivalent of having unprotected sex with a syphilitic hooker. If you look up syphilitic hooker in the dictionary, there's a picture of Internet Explorer. True story.

Farabomb

Anyone using IE is a syphilitic hooker.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Designia(o_O)

Possum

I've gotta give Microsoft props here for fixing something on an unsupported system. Apple wouldn't do that. They'd just try to get you to spend $2,000 on a new computer. Like it's your fault if you're using an old system. Hey, we're not all that rich.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Farabomb

I'll give him $5 to do that for server 2003.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job