Next OS Sierra will drop support for many 07-09 Macs

Started by Possum, June 13, 2016, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Joe on December 02, 2016, 12:53:54 PMWe're running with 8 gb right now and CC is slow as hell. I asked for 6 new 27" Retina iMac's yesterday and to upgrade all existing Macs to 16 gb. Might want to consider making that 32 gb I guess.

Talking to myself I know but...just ordered 6 of these bad boys. Got the order in before years end:
(also getting an extra 8 gb ram from OWC for each of them)

[attachimg=1 width=400]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Nice. I would think about 32g of RAM... although, if it isn't a SSD, it might not matter, since that might be the slowest component, and not the RAM, of a lot of tasks.

I can really see it with batch tasks, heavy read-write stuff. Running scripts and exporting large PDFs... like moments vs minutes, compared to the '09 iMac.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Honestly InDesign is the heaviest stuff we do here and most of our designers are just working on the local paper that is usually 4-6 six or eight page sections and we have been running with 8 GB. So 16 will work oK I think. Of course I would prefer 32 GB but after spending $12.6 K on the new iMacs I can't get greedy on the RAM. All of our Macs, even the new ones coming all have two 4 GB RAM chips in it and to go to 32 GB we would have to remove the two 4's and buy four 8's for each machine. That would be the 6 news ones and the 6 old 27" iMacs. That would add another $2,853 for just RAM upgrades. I would have preferred SSD's also but I got my i7 CPU so I'm happy with the Fusion drives.

Joe

When I get the 6 new ones we will now have fourteen 27" iMacs. :)

All but a very few of the 20" and 21.5" iMacs will probably be sold locally.

Farabomb

Upgrades? What's that?

Been reading up about upgrades on the PC side. I've been away for far, far too long. Everything has changed.

Joe, you could have gotten just one computer for the whole department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOaCkbt4lI&nohtml5=False
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Joe

Wow...Apple is fast. Ordered them about 5:00 pm yesterday. They shipped from California last night and are going to be delivered today. Then everyone there gets to look at them sitting there in the box until I get back next Tuesday. :evil:

Ear

I agree, Joe... you made the right choices. Besides, they are for the dezinerz... daddy still gets the SSD and 32g Ram, right?  :mrt:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Well I was on the fence about upgrading, until I saw these two features and they alone pushed me over the edge. I'm installing.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on April 05, 2017, 11:53:47 AMThe International Cricket Council?

That's the sound I heard, instead of laughter, after posting.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

StudioMonkey

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana