News:

Main Menu

Pagination Mode

Started by Tracy, September 14, 2016, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Finally going to use pagination mode.
Got my layout all ready, but the add creep function has got me confused
I want to add creep to the face only and I want to add a negative number (paper mic size)
when I put a negative number in the "c" box it asks for more numbers
my best guess was "c" X was face only.
See Screen shot, too many boxes to choose from :laugh:

Diddler

Hi Tracey,

You can adjust for "Face only" by selecting the page in the reading order. The go to "Job page properties" and select it there.
Just add Negative creep to "C" as you are doing.

Screen shot might help you below.

You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Tracy

Thanks D!
that clears it up, 1 more question, color bars are greyed out for editing (moving)
does that mean I have to edit the template color bars, I thought I put the color bars
on in the layout.

Tracy

I put a negative number in C - X value
and I get this message

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on September 15, 2016, 08:40:28 AMThanks D!
that clears it up, 1 more question, color bars are greyed out for editing (moving)
does that mean I have to edit the template color bars, I thought I put the color bars
on in the layout.
You have to do all your edits in the "Sheet" Section. Once you make it a "Sheet Group" you can't do edits. Or do them on your original template.

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on September 15, 2016, 09:23:05 AMI put a negative number in C - X value
and I get this message
Only select the Sheet that you want to creep. So in the image below, you can see that Creep is only applied to Section 2-4. You can tell what has creep applied by the Red icon in the B/S (Binding Style) column.
I always get a message that tells me there is no room for pages to creep when apply negative creep. I just ignore it, it still works.

frailer

Due to our fairly narrow tracks that we run on, have never investigated 'Pagination Mode'. Colour me clueless on that.

But Tracy, (and Diddler may concur), on any saddle stitches I've never found a reason not set 'Remove Creep' from first 2 pages and last 2 pages, then set 'Creep Face Only' for the rest. It's seamless.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

I'm having issues with the creep and my system. I keep hitting remove creep but the salesman still doesn't leave my office.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Thanks for the info on the color bar
So am I right in inputting the paper mic size for the creep in "C" X value and 0 for the "C" Y value?
I can't tell if it's right but it seems right.

@Frailer, I have a job that could only be done with pagination mode
unless I make separate jobs, I really like how it does different sheet sizes
So I'm taken out of my comfort zone, (which I hate) :laugh:

Diddler

Tracey, You could use more than one "Workflow" in a job. This allows you to have different sheet sizes. You just need to turn you pages on or off to suit that section.

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on September 16, 2016, 08:26:20 AMThanks for the info on the color bar
So am I right in inputting the paper mic size for the creep in "C" X value and 0 for the "C" Y value?
I can't tell if it's right but it seems right.

@Frailer, I have a job that could only be done with pagination mode
unless I make separate jobs, I really like how it does different sheet sizes
So I'm taken out of my comfort zone, (which I hate) :laugh:
Tracy, careful, methinks, with that 'paper mic value' vis-a-vis the 'XMF Creep Value'.
The latter is calculated by :
-number of pages, including cover
-Then minus 4, (factors cover out of the picture) then divide by 4, (actual number of 4pp sheets in the job).
-Then divide the paper mic value by the result of the earlier calculation.

So, a 36pp would be 36-4=32

32÷4=8

If paper mic was 0.33 mm, then 0.33÷8 = 0.4 = XMF Creep Value.

Sound messy, but it's not really.

Advantage is that if you were to add extra pages; (number of 4pp sheets), that Creep Value would still apply. No recalculations to be done. XMF will just 'squish' the extra increments in as the page count increases.
It's a 'co-efficient', essentially, and is a reflection of the paper thickness only...not the number of pages.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Sorry Tracy... just realised that there's about 6 months' worth of 'mansplainin' going on there.   :tapedshut:

Tracy

I usually put the paper mic size when I do the creep with the regular layout.

Not sure if the "C" Value in pagination mode is asking for the paper mic size. I think it is tho.
There seems to be an option for total creep, which I don't like to use.

Hey! let me know if you come down San Diego way!! It's a 3 hour drive from LA

Farabomb

I have a creep related question. I see people talking about only creeping part of the book. Maybe preps 5 doesn't have as robust creep options (think scaling if about it). I've always just done the math and depending on how I feel that day I either divide by 2 or 4 (4 makes sense but I was taught 2) and entered it as inner creep and it's worked. I did try and use the DCS method of splitting the inner and outer (suck inner pages in, push outer pages out) and it didn't work so well. Since our shitty bindery screwed it up I'm not truly sure where the fault lies but I'm still going with what has been working.

Why are you only creeping a portion? Is that how XMF works?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Frailer does it that way, I creep the whole book, I don't see a shift in the beginning pages over here.
But there could be a difference since he uses millimeters :laugh:  I keed
Don't do any really big SS either

I do the negative number toward the spine thingy!! :laugh: