Run a Prinergy RBA Just Once Per Job Session

Started by MarkStrecker, May 11, 2017, 05:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkStrecker

I work in the prepress department at a major book printer. While the plant in which I work does all offset printing, my department also serves digital plants elsewhere that are part of our company. When we print books on Cottrell presses at my plant, we always run the first and last sig together. In the old days we assigned the pages that way. (Eg. Pages 1-64 and 300-364 would print together.) These days we assign the pages in order and let a the Preps-created JT group the sigs together.. The trouble is, we have a pile of legacy jobs setting about with the first and last pages assigned that way. When we create digital print jobs, we select the pages in the order they are assigned to make the files for a given digital press. The trouble is, if an operator isn't paying attention, he or she might make a digital file with the first and last sig pages assigned that way, meaning that when the book prints digitally, the first 64 pages are in order, but the next 64 are the book's last pages.

I created an automated RBA that detects when an operator makes digital files in a job that previously ran on a Cottrell press, then sends them an e-mail reminding them to check the page assignment. When we make digital files, we usually split them into parts so they can be sent to other print plants via a network connection (if they're too big, they tend to crash). Now here is what I'd like to do. If an operator opens a job to make digital files and they need to be split into parts, I want the RBA to send a single e-mail warning rather than for each part made. If, for example, an operator needs to make 10 parts, he or she won't receive ten e-mail but rather one. If the operator closes out of the job then returns, this resets, Does anyone have an idea how one can do this?

Thanks for any suggestions. Help is much appreciated.

Joe

Quote from: MarkStrecker on May 11, 2017, 05:49:13 AMI work in the prepress department at a major book printer. While the plant in which I work does all offset printing, my department also serves digital plants elsewhere that are part of our company. When we print books on Cottrell presses at my plant, we always run the first and last sig together. In the old days we assigned the pages that way. (Eg. Pages 1-64 and 300-364 would print together.) These days we assign the pages in order and let a the Preps-created JT group the sigs together.. The trouble is, we have a pile of legacy jobs setting about with the first and last pages assigned that way. When we create digital print jobs, we select the pages in the order they are assigned to make the files for a given digital press. The trouble is, if an operator isn't paying attention, he or she might make a digital file with the first and last sig pages assigned that way, meaning that when the book prints digitally, the first 64 pages are in order, but the next 64 are the book's last pages.

I created an automated RBA that detects when an operator makes digital files in a job that previously ran on a Cottrell press, then sends them an e-mail reminding them to check the page assignment. When we make digital files, we usually split them into parts so they can be sent to other print plants via a network connection (if they're too big, they tend to crash). Now here is what I'd like to do. If an operator opens a job to make digital files and they need to be split into parts, I want the RBA to send a single e-mail warning rather than for each part made. If, for example, an operator needs to make 10 parts, he or she won't receive ten e-mail but rather one. If the operator closes out of the job then returns, this resets, Does anyone have an idea how one can do this?

Thanks for any suggestions. Help is much appreciated.

What you are describing there is a saddlestitch binding. So what you now need instead of that pg 1 through 128 instead of the first 64 and the last 64? You don't have to change your page assignments for that. Your pages would need to have the pages in order, i.e.....1 - 364. If you create a template and use saddlestitch binding you get the first 64 and the last 64. If you use a perfect bound template you get the 64 page sections in order. Both with the same pageset. Am I understanding what you are talking about or maybe I am completely misunderstanding?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.