No Bleed placed with ai files?

Started by Tracy, August 28, 2008, 04:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Why cant you get the bleed to be placed with an ai file in Indesign when the document size in illy is set to finished size? but an eps will bring the bleed?  any solutions without opening the ai file and changing the document size?

frailer

Am at work right now tracy, but have look here:

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/search/label/Bleed

...and then have a nice lie down...you'll need it!   :evil:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Traci, set you origin to the upper left hand corner, then draw a box, doesn't matter where. Up in the control palette that has the X and Y coordinates, set it to -.125", .125" (Note there is no minus in front of the second numerical value), then on the box size add .25" to the finish dimension or page size. After you have a box that fully encompasses the bleed, do a select all, and make a clipping mask. Save as an AI file.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

Thanks Frailer that explains a lot, what a bug! that totally needs to be fixed by adobe! we should get free upgrades too!
Thanks DCS, I was trying to avoid opening the cust file I know Im going to have a font prob, also saving the file as an eps solves the problem of the bleed not coming into indesign. Thanks guys, for being helpful as always!
ps.the info about ai not supporting bleed is at the end of the article frailer posted

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Tracy on August 28, 2008, 04:51:44 PMWhy cant you get the bleed to be placed with an ai file in Indesign when the document size in illy is set to finished size? but an eps will bring the bleed?  any solutions without opening the ai file and changing the document size?

Sorry, don't know why I didn't notice that when reading...
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

thats ok! I was able to outline the font he didnt provide. I have no Idea why it worked.
scratch that, I ended up saving as a pdf as the article suggested