Indesign CS4 Not Responding

Started by Bugs, April 03, 2009, 05:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

I just had a 72 page PDF generated from InDesign CS4 go completely ape-shit! Called the customer, had her downsave to CS3, and regenerate PDF using IDENTICAL settings.... no problem. It seems CS4 is having a problem either embedding type or just dropping it at random. I can't find a pattern yet, but I will.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

Found something about the freezing app, it may have something to so with some Asian fonts.

Some users have noticed if you delete the Sing folder (Library/Application support/Adobe/Sing) it seems to work, other have had some problems with the contextual menu having something in it besides the defaults (like apes or some other custom app)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Bugs

I'll check that out tomorrow david. Thanks.

DCS, I haven't had that problem. Sounds like a font that doesn't like cs4. Did you try loading the font into the font folder that is located in the CS4 app folder and not in Suitcase or ect..?
Prinergy 7
Bunch of Macs
Some PCs
Advanced PH8 systems
Epsons
Among other Prepress Crap

DigitalCrapShoveler

No. I have had it happen a few times since, but I caught them B4 I sent them out. It's really weird, I do the job in CS4, jacks up, open in CS3... fine. I'll try the folder thing next time I run into it. I am not going to discount a font thing going on. I have had some bizarre things happen lately with my machine, but I really don't have time, but to throw a band-aid on it and get back to it later.
Member #285 - Civilian

Lefkoff

I have found one thing that will lock up InDesign CS4 every time.

I use the Typefi AutoFit plug in on my Mac G5 using CS3. It has never caused a problem until the head of our prepress department switched to CS4. My files now simply refuse to open on his machine using CS4. I removed the plugin on my machine two weeks ago and the problem went away. The Typefi web site says this plugin is CS2 and up compatible.

Hope this helps somebody out there

Joe

Quote from: Lefkoff on April 30, 2009, 09:07:04 AMI have found one thing that will lock up InDesign CS4 every time.

I use the Typefi AutoFit plug in on my Mac G5 using CS3. It has never caused a problem until the head of our prepress department switched to CS4. My files now simply refuse to open on his machine using CS4. I removed the plugin on my machine two weeks ago and the problem went away. The Typefi web site says this plugin is CS2 and up compatible.

Hope this helps somebody out there

Yeah but have they updated their web site since CS4 came out? That's the problem with stating it that way. That site could sit unattended for 10 years so someone might think it's compatible with CS13. :wink:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

orka81

I have (had) the same problem. Indy CS4 on Mac 10.4 PPC. indy would hang on "Executing startup services".

after rebooting in every kind of mode except a la mode, running onyx, applejack and removing the SING folder and plist file, it all came down to a whacked out font. i turned off all the fonts i could in Font Explorer and Indy CS4 started right up. now i just have to finger out which font

orka81
Life turns on the head of a dime, yet somehow we muddle through

frailer

Typical.         C'mon, Joe..."Fonts are evil...period!"    :death:

...and damn it's lonely here on the Ozland eastern seabord at 5:20PM.   :sad:     Mid-US is 2:18 AM.  Just remarkin'.    :azn:  But I'm outa the Morgue now..    :cool:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

I'm here too. 2:40 am now. And yes...fonts are definitely evil. :evil:

frailer

Like ships in the night.     :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

youston

Quote from: frailer on May 05, 2009, 02:44:32 AMLike ships in the night.     :laugh:

Exchanging glances ... wait, that's not right!  :laugh:

frailer

Quote from: youston on May 05, 2009, 06:42:50 AM
Quote from: frailer on May 05, 2009, 02:44:32 AMLike ships in the night.     :laugh:

No, that's "Strange Ships in the Night", by Rick Astley. If you want a link, I can post.     :wink:

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on May 05, 2009, 05:32:51 PM

No, that's "Strange Ships in the Night", by Rick Astley. If you want a link, I can post.     :wink:

Joe will probably want to hear that. At least link us to the lyrics so he can print them out and tape them on his bathroom mirror.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Working on the lyrics...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Pancho, cleverly disguised as an old iron stove...

Seriously, back on topic,    :embarrassed:   orka81, let us know what you turned up with your shovel in FEX. Which one?  Showing as corrupt?  Etc.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 05, 2009, 05:44:26 PM
Quote from: frailer on May 05, 2009, 05:32:51 PM

Joe will probably want to hear that. At least link us to the lyrics so he can print them out and tape them on his bathroom mirror.

Already have the lyrics to all Rick Astley songs in my Rick Astley museum. :tongue: