InDesign - Transparency Effects not displaying in PDFs

Started by RAMSA Graphics, September 15, 2010, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAMSA Graphics

I am experiencing a situation where I have a Frame with a stroke and a multiply effect which does not display in the PDF. If the multiply effect is removed, the object displays in the PDF. (I am using the PDF/X-4 preset to create the PDF.)

Any new paths created within the document exhibit the same results.

If I create a Frame or Path in a NEW document, apply the stroke and multiply effect, and then copy and paste it into my first document, the pasted items display in the PDF without difficulty.

If I copy the troublesome Frame from the original document and paste it into a new document, it exhibits the same results (it will not display in the PDF). I then create a new Frame in the new document, on the same layer, and with the same attributes. When a PDF is created the troblesome Frame will not display, but the new Frame right next to it will.

I have preflighted the resulting PDF, and both Frames are listed in the Form XObjects. I can also use the selection tool the the Acrobat Plug-In PitStop to select the Frame which is not displayed.

The transparency problem seems to be initiated by an interaction with other pages in the document. If I delete a range of pages, or move the troublesome page earlier in the document, I am able to create new transparent content that will display when PDF'ed, but the existing transparent content still exhibits the same problem.

Somehow specific content on the page is retaining the characteristics from this interaction with the other pages. Content has been moved to another layer without success, and prior to the page move new content was created on another layer without success.

I have uploaded samples including the original 52 page InDesign document with all confidential content removed except for some transparent objects on page 52. In this current state the existing objects and and new transparent objects will not display in the PDF.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rrfgwi

1. Am I missing a setting which is object specific and is carried with the copy paste?

2. What else could be the cause of this situation?

Joe

This is a head scratcher. The one PDF that shows one object but not the other...the only difference I see in the PDF is the one that is showing has both a form and a clipping path. The invisible one does not have a form. See attached. Still trying to figure out why ID is doing it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

orka81

We had a similar issue. Indy CS5 with PMS 1665 orange blob-shapes with transparent other-blob-like shapes on top that were set to 20% white opacity. Looked good, and you could even turn it on and off via separations in CS5, but the PMS 1665 completely disappeared in the PDF.

Turned out one of the 20% white opacity blob-like shapes was set to 0c 0m 0y 0k, instead of 20% white. once we changed that, the file worked fine.
Life turns on the head of a dime, yet somehow we muddle through