News:

Main Menu

Dieline Help

Started by Farabomb, August 16, 2011, 10:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I should know this, I have done it before but since I don't do it often I forget.

Have to make a dieline, simple half circle tab. I mad a circle the size I need and then 2 lines. I want to join the points so I end up with a half circle and a line. I've tried in quark (native is quark) but gave up and dropped in the PDFs and am doing the die in indy. What am I doing wrong? I've deleted some points so I have almost what I need I just have to remove the line going through the circle. This should be simple but seems the brain is on vacation.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

If you are using InDes or Illy, use the scissor tool. Click on the intersection of the line and the circle at each end of the line. You should then be able to delete the unwanted section of the line.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Well with that suggestion I got it done but there has to be a better way than the way I did it. I remember being able to join points and have one big happy die.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Went to pathfinder first and it wasn't doing what I needed.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

use the direct selection tool (hollow arrow), select the two points you want to join, then

in Illy, command J - join points
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: david on August 16, 2011, 11:07:33 AMin Illy, command J - join points
Damn, just about to post that.
Or, if you're menu driven, unlike me, it's Object/Path/Join.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

I love making dielines. Every die job we get, I redraw the die from scratch and adjust the art accordingly. I do all my dies in Illustrator. I draw a lot of shapes and use the pathfinder tool for stuff like what you're describing.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I rarely make dielines, we don't do packaging here. Since we got our plotter I've been creating cut lines which is sometimes tricky depending on the artwork.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: gnubler on August 16, 2011, 11:27:05 AMI rarely make dielines, we don't do packaging here. Since we got our plotter I've been creating cut lines which is sometimes tricky depending on the artwork.
You don't do any embossing, debossing, foil stamping, die cuts at all? WOW.
I like drawing die lines, too. The most impressive one I drew had 3 levels of embossing, a die cut line, a foil stamp and a blind emboss. FUN!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Naw, we just print & stuff.

Most of the die jobs we do have been done for years and have existing dies. We've done maybe 5 new ones in the past year.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

andyfest

All of the jobs we process have approved dielines output by our CAD dept that are supplied to our clients. The only real reasons we are allowed to reject a job outright is if the client has not used an approved dieline supplied by us, or if they have used any Microsoft program (Word, Excel, Pub) to create a carton file.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

I like doing dielines and like cutting them out even more. I just want to get better at it. I have fudged my way through even packaging dies and they worked.

I tried the joining and it didn't work. All this was done in indy because it was 5 different tabs. If it was just one die I would have done it in illy.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I make all my dies in Illy, whether it's for one or one hundred. Then place the illy die in Indesign.
It's just way easier, step things around, join and cut paths, make compound paths, etc.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Too bad DCS isn't here. He loves making dielines.

Dog food boxes.  :cry: