Mac Mini-Intel
1 (10%)
iMac 27" i5
1 (10%)
Mac Studio-Base Model
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2022, 02:56:16 PMSomething new I learned this week. Apple gives veterans and active military a 10% discount on all purchases. I wish I had known about that about 20 years ago. I could have saved a lot of money. :(
sheesh that is nice, I will have to remember that for my dad

Tracy

So on my new Mac I have to put in the password for my servers (Raids) but I don't on my other Mac
how do I set it up to not need the password? 

David

you should be able to do that when you connect to the server. It should ask if you want to store the password with Keychain. After that, it won't ask for it again.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on October 28, 2022, 09:11:31 AMSo on my new Mac I have to put in the password for my servers (Raids) but I don't on my other Mac
how do I set it up to not need the password?
Quote from: David on October 28, 2022, 09:23:13 AMyou should be able to do that when you connect to the server. It should ask if you want to store the password with Keychain. After that, it won't ask for it again.

What he said...what OS is on that Mac? Maybe new "security feature" that won't let you save the password of network shares.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

I will try the keychain next time, it does ask me, I have never used that, not sure why my other Mac doesn't ask me

I'm on Monterey, Enfocus said not to update to Ventura, sheesh just got the thing I don't want a new OS

thanks guys!

David

keychain is great.

That's how I find login passwords on other Macs (you do need an admin password, makes it easier) when the "user" forgets what jacked up phrase they used for the password when they first logged in to a website or server and can't remember what they picked.

8)
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

I did it!

yeah I experienced that just recently, salesman has the office subscription under his name (why)
took me all week to get it, he had to redo his password 

RMPrepress

Your old Mac had that password stored in the keychain for sure.
On this subject...
I hope you know you can have all your needed shares mount automatically when you start your Mac?
Applications too if you want.

System Preferences/Users and Groups/Login items...drag shares and applications right into the window.

Just checking to make sure you are not missing out.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

madbugger

Yep, I have 4 servers automatically mount on start up, however I have stopped having software startup. It takes long enough as it is, and if you have to do a couple of restarts to troubleshoot issues (2012 model mac's, we need to do this a bit more often lately) you can almost go to lunch and come back before it has fully started.

If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

David

I am not a fan of all my apps launching on start-up, it's would take ages just to boot up.

I also quit all the running apps before I shut-down or re-start, just so they won't re-start at launch (which seems to be a default now-a-days).
Livin' la Vida Loca

RMPrepress

I'm with you both... I have about a dozen shares that mount at start up and one app, Outlook.
i used to have Acrobat and one or two more.
Although I will say that SSD's certainly took a lot of the waiting away for startup items.
Acrobat is still painfully slow at finishing to launch, must be all the plug ins...I guess.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

I found just dragging the network shares to the login items to be a little unstable. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. I was admin over 20 Macs when I was working and certain people didn't know how to remount them if they somehow lost one or more so I created an AppleScript to do it and saved it as an app and then put that in the startup items and showed everyone where it was so if they lost their shares they could just double click the app to remount them.

David

Quote from: Joe on October 28, 2022, 02:36:17 PM...created an AppleScript to do it and saved it as an app and then put that in the startup items and showed everyone where it was so if they lost their shares they could just double click the app to remount them.
Cheater

LOL
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: David on October 28, 2022, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 28, 2022, 02:36:17 PM...created an AppleScript to do it and saved it as an app and then put that in the startup items and showed everyone where it was so if they lost their shares they could just double click the app to remount them.
Cheater

LOL
Creative laziness! :rotf:

GP125RACER

Back to the original question...

With the news that Apple is not likely to bring the M2 Mini to market before 2023 what would you buy if you had to buy now? I'm getting pressure to buy before year end (budget available) but my options appear to be bad and worse.

Side note, we are looking to replace several aging 27" iMacs all with 24" second monitors.