Don't laugh - need USB dialup modem recommendations

Started by DCurry, December 09, 2011, 07:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Not for me - my dad refuses to get broadband internet service and still uses a dialup ISP. I set him up with a Mac Mini using a USB modem from USRobotics, but the darn things keep dying. They recently replaced the original one under warranty, but now the replacement modem died as well.

Can anyone recommend another modem to try? I'm still going to get USRobotics to replace this modem, but I'm thinking it might be good to have 2 so when the next one dies he can just swap modems.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

almaink

I had nothing but trouble with US Robotics Modems, then I found a Zoom USB modem and never had another issue. No idea if they even still make them tho. I would give ya mine but it was trashed this passed October after the last flood we had here.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

t-pat

I have a zoom USB modem at home I grabbed at a thrift store or something in a mixed bag of stuff I needed other bits, I'll see if I can find it. Supposed to work with osx.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 07:35:59 AMNot for me - my dad refuses to get broadband internet service and still uses a dialup ISP. I set him up with a Mac Mini using a USB modem from USRobotics, but the darn things keep dying. They recently replaced the original one under warranty, but now the replacement modem died as well.

Can anyone recommend another modem to try? I'm still going to get USRobotics to replace this modem, but I'm thinking it might be good to have 2 so when the next one dies he can just swap modems.

Is there not a modem built in? what OS?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Does it need to be USB? I probably have half a dozen (or so) PCI modems lying around if you want one... or three...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: david on December 09, 2011, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 07:35:59 AMNot for me - my dad refuses to get broadband internet service and still uses a dialup ISP. I set him up with a Mac Mini using a USB modem from USRobotics, but the darn things keep dying. They recently replaced the original one under warranty, but now the replacement modem died as well.

Is there not a modem built in? what OS?

Some have them...some don't.

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

youston

I have to admit I violated the rules and snickered a little when I saw the title to this thread.

Sorry, Dan.

gnubler

His dad sounds high tech. I don't even have internet or a working computer at home.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DCurry

I knew you bastards would laugh. Actually, I laugh at his stubbornness. His house isn't wired for cable and the cable company would have to run a line through his yard and he thinks it will tear it up and they won't make it look nice. I told him the lines are usually run pretty shallow, in fact they'll probably just use a straight shovel to split the ground and tuck the wire in but he is mad because he didn't receive a satisfactory answer from the cable guy on the phone a couple years ago. FiOS is coming to his neighborhood soon and my mom says she'll try to get him to look into that.

This particular model of Mini does not have a built-in modem. Yes, it must be a USB modem. I'll pick them up a Zoom. Thanks for the link, mwc!

Want to laugh at something else? He has a combover!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 04:06:38 PMWant to laugh at something else? He has a combover!

now THAT's funny.     :lmao:

.... the collective expertise here is like the purest vanilla essence of 'net knowledge.   
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 04:06:38 PMHe has a combover!

Did he make it into the fabulous hairstyles book, as featured on your avatar?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2011, 04:06:38 PMI knew you bastards would laugh. Actually, I laugh at his stubbornness. His house isn't wired for cable and the cable company would have to run a line through his yard and he thinks it will tear it up and they won't make it look nice. I told him the lines are usually run pretty shallow, in fact they'll probably just use a straight shovel to split the ground and tuck the wire in but he is mad because he didn't receive a satisfactory answer from the cable guy on the phone a couple years ago. FiOS is coming to his neighborhood soon and my mom says she'll try to get him to look into that.

This particular model of Mini does not have a built-in modem. Yes, it must be a USB modem. I'll pick them up a Zoom. Thanks for the link, mwc!

Want to laugh at something else? He has a combover!

I like him already!
Member #285 - Civilian

NefariousDrO

As long as his hair doesn't look like Donald Trump's he's got my vote!

DCurry

Quote from: gnubler on December 09, 2011, 05:12:50 PMDid he make it into the fabulous hairstyles book, as featured on your avatar?

No, but perchance that's what begat my fascination with bad hair!

Here's the actual combover in all of its horizontal follicular splendor: