Network Switch to blame?

Started by Aaron, November 04, 2013, 12:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

So after getting new computers (7 new HP's and 2 iMacs) I was saddened when after restarting any of these computers the mapped network drives fail to reconnect automatically. The PCs will show the red X next to the drive and get the message that it failed to connect. Mac does similar. Get the failed to mount drive.

Both OS's will eventually connect though. It's almost like the drives try to mount before the network card in finished initializing. Is this just the way it is? PCs are running Windows 7 and the iMac is 10.8.

I wonder if the switch is at fault here? So I went to Cisco's site to download the latest firmware and management software (because I've always left it unmanaged) and the site won't let me download anything without a service contract....  :kissass:

Any words of advise?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Joe

On Win 7, the only way I can get them to mount at boot consistently is to make the windows user name and password match the network share user name and password.

On OS X 10.8 they work fine for me. What is the OS and version of the OS of the network share and how are you trying to connect?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Aaron

Connecting with the IP. The computers are running Windows 7 and the servers they are connecting to are running Windows Server 2008. More specify, mounting about 4 different share points on the 1 server running Windows Server 2008

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Joe

For the Macs, try connecting via the computer name instead of the IP address and see if that makes a difference. It does for us so we always connect via the computer name. Also, Apple instituted the SMB2 protocol in Mavericks which is causing network issues for some users. I would not be surprised if Apple is using the silent update mechanism to update an earlier OS. :toaster:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Aaron

Ya know now that I'm thinking about it I am connecting with the name on the MACs. But I am doing to IP on the PCs.

I think I'm going to try to setup a DNS/DHCP server. Matt sent me some advice and when I get some free time I'm going to poke around with it.