Service Bureau v2

Started by Ear, July 02, 2009, 11:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

I have a strange one, or maybe not that strange for some of you...

We have a local shop that is too small to be much competition and apparently, too small to justify making their own plates. They want to have us (me) act as a service bureau and run plates for them. They have a digital press of some sort and a GTO but don't have enough GTO work to be able to keep up with the cost of chemistry, etc...

Our platesetter won't take a plate that small so they want us to burn to one of our plates and they will cut it down. This isn't a big deal for me, I already do this for our envelope Halmjet. We also have larger plates that I could put 2 of their plates up on, if they had 2 jobs in house at once.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me, I just thought it was kind of funny and I'm curious to see if anyone else is doing this... pros and cons?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Yeah we have a small print shop that our owners own and right now we're outputting film for them but we're looking to get rid of the imagesetter and our CTP won't do plates that small either. Right now we're trying to get some plates in that we can do 2-up as well and then cut the plates down. So no, I'm not doing it yet but like you...soon will be. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

One of the Service Bureaus I worked for over a decade ago does EXACTLY this. Instead of film, they supply plates for various print shops not/or unable to acquire CTP. It has it's ups and downs, but it works. I did the same thing for a print shop at my last job, they also cut the plates down to size. Whatever, if they pay and take the crap what do I care. Hope this helps.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

It is kind of funny, isn't it.

They were asking about file submission and since they have their own *prepress guy*, I told them; He must give PDF. He can either give PDF of the original job and let me do all the work, which will take more time and cost more or, he can use Indesign to do a pre-imposition to the size of his plate, at which point I can nest a preps template into a standard job ticket in my workflow, cutting my prepress charge to a ridiculous minimum.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Stiv

From experience, it will start out easy then they will want some work done, you won't charge or your boss won't bill it (either way), they will then keep adding changes and little favors until you get medieval on their ass. Then the fun really starts.

Don't let them get away with anything - right from the start. Keep it professional and CYA.

Ear

Good advice Stiv, you're right, no getting 'chummy' with the other print shop.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, they want you for plates... I would nit-pick the shit outta them if I were you. I HATE other Prepress Guys out here. Ignorant, hick dumb asses.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

But who don't you hate?  :huh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 02, 2009, 02:06:22 PMYou. :kiss:

Bastard. I take my restaurant recommendation back.  :angry:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hahahahaahaha, I am purposely kissing her ass because she hates it. I hate her too. THAT is a compliment from me. If I truly despise you... well, you know what comes soon after.
Member #285 - Civilian

mattbeals

A customer of mine does this for several print shops around him. Early on he was supplying film to shops and when he went CTP they went along with him. He made a straight deal with them, the shop supplying the art is 100% responsible for making it plate ready and imposing it. All he does it send it through the RIP, expose the plate and call them to pick up the job. He's not worried about the competition with his shop. I guess the idea is if they can't make their own plates how much competition are they really? I'm sure that there is a gentlemans agreement that there is not client poaching.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 02, 2009, 02:30:38 PMHahahahaahaha, I am purposely kissing her ass because she hates it. I hate her too. THAT is a compliment from me. If I truly despise you... well, you know what comes soon after.

... taxidermy?

Ear

Quote from: mattbeals on July 02, 2009, 02:54:57 PMA customer of mine does this for several print shops around him. Early on he was supplying film to shops and when he went CTP they went along with him. He made a straight deal with them, the shop supplying the art is 100% responsible for making it plate ready and imposing it. All he does it send it through the RIP, expose the plate and call them to pick up the job. He's not worried about the competition with his shop. I guess the idea is if they can't make their own plates how much competition are they really? I'm sure that there is a gentlemans agreement that there is not client poaching.

:laugh: Ya, really! That's funny... so, if they break the agreement, do you get to slap them across the face with a leather glove and challenge them to a gentleman's duel? Say things like, "you, sir, are a scoundrel and a buffoon, we shall draw pistols at ten paces".

mattbeals

No, you just stop producing the plates for them or you find someone new to make the the plates for you. Or you invest in your own. With the large amount of shops going under and shutting down now is a good time to pickup a used workflow. There is still some honor left in printing, not a lot, but some if you're dealing with the right people.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.