Processor Name:   6-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:   2.93 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   2
  Total Number Of Cores:   12
  L2 Cache (per core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache (per processor):   12 MB
  Memory:   16 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:   6.4 GT/s

But it's slow rendering our job folders, must be cover flow or something, very laggy displaying contents of folders on our jobs NAS. Also bonded dual gigabit ethernet seems to be nonfunctional.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

That's like 5 of my Macbooks put together.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: tpatterson on October 22, 2010, 12:48:38 PMuntil the next faster ones come out :)

Model Name:   Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacPro5,1

But it's slow rendering our job folders, must be cover flow or something, very laggy displaying contents of folders on our jobs NAS. Also bonded dual gigabit ethernet seems to be nonfunctional.

Under View Options for those folders...turn off "Show Icon Preview'. That can really slow things down.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: tpatterson on October 22, 2010, 12:48:38 PMuntil the next faster ones come out :)

Is it setup for bandwidth aggregation or for fail-over?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on October 22, 2010, 01:04:37 PM

Is it setup for bandwidth aggregation or for fail-over?

bandwidth aggregation, on the g5's we have we could write to the network faster than the internal RAID
vdp donkey

mattbeals

Don't forget with bonded connections that the connections on both ends as well as the switch need to be able to handle the traffic. Most NAS devices won't unless you bough high end NAS. Most switches are dumb switches. If they are manageable more often than not they are not configured for optimal performance.

But! That's a hell of a machine, you're quite lucky.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: mattbeals on October 22, 2010, 01:57:13 PMDon't forget with bonded connections that the connections on both ends as well as the switch need to be able to handle the traffic. Most NAS devices won't unless you bough high end NAS. Most switches are dumb switches. If they are manageable more often than not they are not configured for optimal performance.

But! That's a hell of a machine, you're quite lucky.

Thanks!
yeah we have some ridiculous 20TB NAS, everything in the server room is high end, for what reason I'm not quite sure, but it's all fancy. The switch is configured on it's end too so I'm told by the department boss/systems manager
vdp donkey

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 01:59:31 PMHow much did it cost?

$7500, and there's another one being set up for a co-worker. I'd personally would have been happier with an 8 core and the change in the form of a check to me :)
vdp donkey

frailer

Are you sure they're not laundering d*^g money.   :undecided:  Um. are you still in prepress?   :huh:

...Oh, and less facetiously...have they rejigged their insurance coverage?  Changed the locks/security codes on the alarm system? Seriously. I'm paranoid in my equilibrium state, but that would have me thinking about renewed risk of 'inside info' incidents...  Just saying.  That's a whole other ball-park, value-wise.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on October 22, 2010, 03:34:56 PMAre you sure they're not laundering d*^g money.   :undecided:  Um. are you still in prepress?   :huh:

...Oh, and less facetiously...have they rejigged their insurance coverage?  Changed the locks/security codes on the alarm system? Seriously. I'm paranoid in my equilibrium state, but that would have me thinking about renewed risk of 'inside info' incidents...  Just saying.  That's a whole other ball-park, value-wise.

they haven't bought new macs for 5-6 years, it's time. This place is TINY and poor compared to where I'm from, and frankly I'll be back there as soon as I can, new macs or not.

You can afford all kinds of stuff when you cut corners on other things, like STAFF.
vdp donkey

gnubler

Well, let's just hope the building explodes in the middle of the night when no one's there.

Anyone heard from Skryber lately?