Stretch Compensation

Started by Ear, May 20, 2011, 10:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Is anyone implementing stretch compensation? My webs get considerable stretch between units and instead of using air bustles, I want to help by using the stretch feature in XMF. I started messing with it but it's proving tricky to get working. I think I have to save it in device profiles or something. Any ideas?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Sorry, ear. All 28" sheet-fed here. Never had cause to play with it. Like some other things in XMF, it no doubt works quite well, just a bit non-intuitive. Could be in the  GUI move from the Japanese...   :undecided:
Am certainly happy to email my guy here, and ask. Am certainly aware of customers here in Sydney who are web/XMF. Shall get back to you.
Their 'Help' inside XMF is a little opaque.   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Quote from: Earendil on May 20, 2011, 10:55:15 AMIs anyone implementing stretch compensation? My webs get considerable stretch between units and instead of using air bustles, I want to help by using the stretch feature in XMF. I started messing with it but it's proving tricky to get working. I think I have to save it in device profiles or something. Any ideas?

Oh yeah. It'll be some hidden door, or button click, that you just don't know about.
Like their Creep compensation. Works great, once you 'get' it.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Stiv

Rampage here but we use web compensation. We set it from the plot menu as a vertical %. Each color has its own %, with black output at 100%.

Can you adjust the horizontal and vertical percentages from 100% when you plot the plate/film?

frailer

Some stuff I unearthed in Help, late today.

... see 'Stretch Enabled' button, unchecked in shot. S/shot #1 is a random job I opened to see where it was....

frailer

Cross Media Workflow

The Paper Stretch is applied via the Press Media Profile in XMF. The settings are applied under the "Stretch & Characterisation" tab menu. You can apply different values front to back if required. The maximum value is 0.30% which would equate to 3 mm over 3 Meters. Stretch is at present applied unit by unit. It would therefore be important not to switch separations around on print units after values are set and the jobs are re-rendered.

Once the media is selected on the press workflow item all settings are applied.

frailer

Thanks for the look in, CMW. And welcome...   :cool:    Great to have some vendor input/help. 

Some vendors just 'watch'.  No names, no pack drill.   :tapedshut:

Ear

Thanks for the replies. I know my figures and some of the areas shown here, it is getting the info into the Press Media Profile that isn't elementary. It's similar to the process of applying the G7 curves to a profile, right?

I got pretty busy since posting the question... probably be next week before I try to apply the values and actually make it work.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black