Trapping and Metallic Ink

Started by Ear, April 05, 2016, 02:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

I know we have talked about this b4 but it has been a long time and I am currently working on a tricky job. And it's a good topic.

I have a perfect bound cover, to be printed 2 up sheetwise on my Speedmaster (4 color press). It also needs a spot metallic and flood varnish on the A side.

My pressman wants to lay the 4c back first, then run Cyan and Spot Gold, for the front side. He will then come back with M, Y, K & Varnish on the third pass. This makes me ponder trapping. Typically, black is the most dense, so everything traps to Black. In this case, the metallic is opaque, which IMO trumps the black. However, since Black will go on after Gold, I don't want to choke the black, only to have it show on top of the gold edge. It has some fine type.

Let's get a little dialog on this. I'd like to hear how you guys do it. I'm thinking about having Gold and Black be 1 to 1 and trap the CMY... if Sierra will allow such a thing.

I'm attaching a screenshot, zoomed in on a couple of characters, un-rendered. The black is a 60-50-50-100 build, which gives me some freedom on trap settings.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

I would trap everything, but only .00115", then go home real quick.
and yes, the gold will be more opaque than the black IMO.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

:rotf: 

.... gold more opaque but going down before black. The RIP wants to spread the CMY and trap the gold to black.

I typically see metallic go last, so it covers the trap. I'm not sure if black is opaque enough to cover the gold trap. But I don't want to trap the black to gold, since black will be on top, in case the black is opaque enough to influence the character shapes.

I would love to see black and gold on the same pass, but he isn't going to run that way.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Quote from: Ear on April 05, 2016, 02:43:58 PM:rotf:

.... gold more opaque but going down before black. The RIP wants to spread the CMY and trap the gold to black.

I typically see metallic go last, so it covers the trap. I'm not sure if black is opaque enough to cover the gold trap. But I don't want to trap the black to gold, since black will be on top, in case the black is opaque enough to influence the character shapes.

I would love to see black and gold on the same pass, but he isn't going to run that way.
Hmmmm, and why is he so set on his run / pass order?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Fontaholic

Quote from: born2print on April 05, 2016, 03:07:32 PM
Quote from: Ear on April 05, 2016, 02:43:58 PM:rotf:

Hmmmm, and why is he so set on his run / pass order?

Because he's a press operator...  ;)

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Ear

He is an old guy and a good pressman. He had a few reasons but I'll ask again tomorrow before I plate it. I think he is concerned about fit and dry trap (CMY on top of the K solid), if he were to lay black and gold on the first pass. I have under-color on the black and he wants black to go down last, just before varnish. 

StudioMonkey

I would advise doing the side with the gold first, only because there is likely to be more wasteage on that side (2 passes + tricky trap) - the other side is a standard cmyk single pass.  You don't want to run the easy side first then find you need to run more because of the wasteage on the other side.

Plus, I'm a bit surprised that the gold is opaque.  You must use different inks.  Also I usually have to use a rich black to trap to a metallic but you will know better what might work.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

We do heavy 4c blacks and gold all the time here. We have the advantage of a 6c press though. The boss used to always freak out, made me do special traps because he heard someone say something about it once. I did once and the pressmen had a hell of a time. Now, it's our normal trap settings with a sequence of metallic/k/c/m/y/varn. The designer loves thin script fonts and black mixtures near 400% and we manage to pull it off. The trapping in prinergy treats the metallic as opaque and I have the sequence set and rarely have issues on press.

Now after it's off there is some offsetting issues, issues with bindery using waste sheets in the live job, not just makeready and not paying attention to flagged sheets but that's a different story. The joke here is red tags mean office copies and green tags mean throw it out.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

We always hit with the metallic first, as it's an opaque ink - then lay down the CMYK inks as they are transparent and usually ghost out when they trap to the metallic ink. To prevent marking, we usually run the metallic as a UV ink and hit it with a lamp before laying down the process colours and Aq coat.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Tracy

Veerrry Interesting
Are you guys saying the Black doesn't cover the gold if it runs together?
and it should be laid down first?
Not sure how we did it, but I do remember he did 2 passes

Had a job recently and I didn't see the finished product.
4 color Black and Gold, the gold was trapping to the black

Ear

Some great replies here. Good food for thought.

mattbeals

we always ran the metallic side first, kcmy (90/40/40/60)-Gold and had the traps spread under the gold.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Skryber

When we've had jobs like this, we'd cut the trap to almost nothing. And like Born said, run for cover.

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Ear

:rotf:  I cut the trap way down and changed it to "center", to split the difference.

I just looked at the rendered file and now the black text on back is trying to overprint a gold gradient, instead of knocking out. It is outlined, so maybe that is the problem. Text next to it KOs but not the outlined "text". I have tried a couple methods for forcing it but it doesn't want to KO.

edit: I got it to KO. Off to plate.

... then I get to argue with the pressman about ink order.

Farabomb

Here are some examples. This book was done in 2 passes. The first laid down the metallic (spot/K/C/M/Y) and process, then another pass for the understrike varn/AQ to get the matte and gloss varnish effect. The black breakdown is north of 320%. Short loads and lots of time between backing up. Sorry about the glare.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40594243/File%20transfer/Archive.zip

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job