News:

Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Well I'll be damned. I never thought you get get more than 480 out of coax.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It's the same coax that runs from the DTV dish to the DVR. Carries HD from the dish to the DVR...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 05, 2012, 04:00:21 PMWell I'll be damned. I never thought you get get more than 480 out of coax.

This will really blow your mind... you can get HDTV over the air! no wires involved.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on March 05, 2012, 04:15:45 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on March 05, 2012, 04:00:21 PMWell I'll be damned. I never thought you get get more than 480 out of coax.

This will really blow your mind... you can get HDTV over the air! no wires involved.
I had an HD antenna once. I ran it through a satellite receiver (back in the days before local channels were broadcast on satellite). I had it hooked up to a SD CRT too, but didn't know I could use it coax without the receiver. I know Boxee Box has a USB coax adapter you can plug an HD antenna in to and receive local HD live on your Boxee Box. http://www.boxee.tv/live
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

That's exactly what I have, a homemade HD antenna on top of my house. works like a champ.      Standard coax, 1080.    and, it's ALL FREE!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on March 06, 2012, 08:49:48 AM

That's exactly what I have, a homemade HD antenna on top of my house. works like a champ.      Standard coax, 1080.    and, it's ALL FREE!

The benefit of living in a metropolitan area. I live about 80 miles form the nearest TV station. I'd get a whole lot of nothing with one of those.

DigiCorn

When I had my HD antenna (before I ditched it after local channels in HD were on satellite) I didn't even have to hook it up to the tv. It was amplified ($150 for the antenna, amp and mount at Radio Hut), and once I plugged it in, it was about 5 feet away from a SD tv and I was pulling in channels from Chico and Redding, 150 miles away.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

okie dokie, this popped up on WOOT today, should i bite?

roku xds 1080 for 65 shipped

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=17de47024f-Daily+Digest+-+20120304+-+Woot&utm_medium=email&Id=22268#tracked

EDIT: this email was 3 days old, missed out. didnt notice the date. :(

t-pat

Quote from: delooch on March 06, 2012, 03:22:01 PMokie dokie, this popped up on WOOT today, should i bite?

http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=17de47024f-Daily+Digest+-+20120304+-+Woot&utm_medium=email&Id=22268#tracked

just look here...

http://www.roku.com/roku-products#3

oh and someone was pimping referral links, may want to do that instead:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

delooch

Quote from: t-pat on March 06, 2012, 03:26:23 PM
Quote from: delooch on March 06, 2012, 03:22:01 PMokie dokie, this popped up on WOOT today, should i bite?

just look here...

yeah, i was just pokinig around and noticed it wasnt that great of a deal at all.. $69 off the roku website, and its not a refurb!  DAMN YOU WOOT!

t-pat

and you don't have to read through 6 paragraphs of "cutesy" copy. Seriously people, who WRITES that shit? Them and Groupon need to be taken out and shot.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

delooch

read?? i just look at the pictures..

they are just one more hand in the awkwardly small pool of funds known as my paycheck...

David

you get paid for this?

dayum
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Read woot? hell no but I did just buy a slot car track from them.

I got the same email as digi but didn't feel the need to pimp it here.

Family is a different story.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: delooch on March 06, 2012, 03:30:15 PM
Quote from: t-pat on March 06, 2012, 03:26:23 PM

just look here...

yeah, i was just pokinig around and noticed it wasnt that great of a deal at all.. $69 off the roku website, and its not a refurb!  DAMN YOU WOOT!

Doesn't have the wired ethernet or USB port on that model.