Christmas break and equipment shutdowns

Started by andyfest, December 02, 2016, 12:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate

I got the same advice from Epson–we now shut our P9000 down every night. 

The 9880 it replaced was left on 24/7 and had constant printhead problems. By the end of its life we were wasting an exorbitant amount of ink on that thing doing multiple cleaning cycles before each print and STILL had prints resume banding halfway through a single page.

So glad to be rid of that nightmare. :banana: 
Hopefully shutting down at night will help the P9000 avoid the same fate.

Farabomb

Interesting, I have a 9800 and I had the opposite experience. I never shut it down, I can't tell you the last time I did a power cleaning. I run a nozzle check before I start the day's first proof and rarely have issues. I am in no way saying what I'm doing is right, I'd always trust the manufacturer until my experience has proven otherwise. I know when we first got it it had been sitting for months and the head was toast.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Nate

It's definitely possible that our issues were caused by something else entirely--that machine had already been here a good while before I arrived.

I did notice that the top cover was often always left open because people were too lazy to close it after changing media. Given your experience it sounds like dust accumulation may actually be the more likely culprit.

Farabomb

If you're still having issues there is a trick where you park the head on a rag soaked in windex for a night and supposedly it clears up funky head issues. Might want to google it and see if might help you.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Nate

Interesting.. now I wish I had posted about that before we replaced it. Once we got the P9000 we wound up selling the 9880 on the cheap to a vendor/friend that just needed a machine to print die tracings.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on December 12, 2016, 09:09:21 AMIf you're still having issues there is a trick where you park the head on a rag soaked in windex for a night and supposedly it clears up funky head issues. Might want to google it and see if might help you.
I know on old Canon machines, they would tell you to heat up a wet paper towel in the microwave and wrap it around the head to clear clogs.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway