White lines/clipping masks

Started by frailer, February 22, 2008, 01:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Rushed post...gotta go home...it's Friday!  Annoying white lines. CS3 generated PDFs. Got in there in PSP and moved/re-sized [carefully], some clipping masks. The jpegs below should give the idea. Had the Indy file, but they were just placed eps's in it; i.e. each of the 2 pages. So, just as good with the supplied PDF. I'm not a seasoned hand at this, but managed to make usable PDFs for Dyna. Is this something you just cop now and again, or sloppy DG work, or...would be happy to have the learning curve nudged up.   :cheesy:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Oops...too rushed. White line; black lines; depending on whether reverse type or box...same problem.   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

almaink

What version PDF is it? Most likely it's a flattened PDF. I know I keep harping on this but if you use transparency keep it live!
Generating a postscript file and then distilling any job using transparency is just asking for trouble. If you run a psl3 rip you shouldn't need to flatten. One thing you can do if you have to flatten is put the text on a separate layer above the transparency. Most of the time that will solve the problem.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 22, 2008, 01:15:01 AM

I think almaink has hit the nail on the head. I've been wondering what all of those lines are from though in the image shown? It seems to be more of an issue with CS3 PDF files than any others. It just looks like a black background with reversed text. I don't see the need for all of the boxes shown in that image. Where do they come from?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

Could be trap lines or clipping masks to preserve the transparency.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Not sure what could be transparent though at the bottom of the "g" or "t" unless they added a shadow that can't be seen because of the black background. You're probably right but it sure seems there is a lot of extra stuff in CS3 PDF's. All that clutter makes it difficult to select something you really need to select in Pitstop.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

OK, I think I get it. A certain large corporation thinks our lives are getting too boring in prepress. So they introduce these "puzzles" to help us pass the time of day.
Another example below. It's in a state of semi-repair, bear in mind. The original problem was the usual unwanted white box borders showing.
Fixable in PSP...Inspector>Position>adjust X,Y> Move Tool. Suck and see, sorta. Eventually you get there, but; what a PITA.
Person doing it requested Source files, and I don't blame 'em.
The most interesting ones are the non-rectangular ones with 6 control points.
Leaves gaming for dead, I reckon... :evil:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on September 02, 2008, 08:03:59 PMOK, I think I get it. A certain large corporation thinks our lives are getting too boring in prepress. So they introduce these "puzzles" to help us pass the time of day.
Another example below. It's in a state of semi-repair, bear in mind. The original problem was the usual unwanted white box borders showing.
Fixable in PSP...Inspector>Position>adjust X,Y> Move Tool. Suck and see, sorta. Eventually you get there, but; what a PITA.

Flattening Capitan! Those lines will not print. They are the areas in which transparency/Raster meet vector. It is a common misconception these lines actually print. But, you are saying, they actually show/print to your RIP? I have never seen it before.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 02, 2008, 08:16:16 PM
Quote from: frailer on September 02, 2008, 08:03:59 PMOK, I think I get it. A certain large corporation thinks our lives are getting too boring in prepress. So they introduce these "puzzles" to help us pass the time of day.

Flattening Capitan! Those lines will not print. They are the areas in which transparency/Raster meet vector. It is a common misconception these lines actually print. But, you are saying, they actually show/print to your RIP? I have never seen it before.

I know what you're saying DCS, but these ones did. Stood out like dog's on the Black Magic.
Done by someone else; definitely went in and out of PREPS via .ps in and out.
I don't think they're the innocent "atomic regions" they seem to be masquerading as. Radioactive, maybe, but not just Atomic Regions.    :laugh:

Think they're something to do with the way they're being Exported from CS3. I now wonder whether they've got some weird setting in the Export dialogue. They came from the same source as the above-mentioned ones.
May throw it into Acro 7 tomorrow, time permitting, and do a Save As. But there's always those transparency issues... :rolleyes:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on September 03, 2008, 03:02:40 AM

I know what you're saying DCS, but these ones did. Stood out like dog's on the Black Magic.
Done by someone else; definitely went in and out of PREPS via .ps in and out.
I don't think they're the innocent "atomic regions" they seem to be masquerading as. Radioactive, maybe, but not just Atomic Regions.    :laugh:

Think they're something to do with the way they're being Exported from CS3. I now wonder whether they've got some weird setting in the Export dialogue. They came from the same source as the above-mentioned ones.
May throw it into Acro 7 tomorrow, time permitting, and do a Save As. But there's always those transparency issues... :rolleyes:

I'll be watching out for that one... here I thought the atomic regions were invisible to print, or whatever they are! Let us know what you come up with. If you can discover the settings used, maybe we can figure something out... At this point, I don't have a clue. :angry:
Member #285 - Civilian

The Stevinator

Most of the time they don't print, but often times they do (depending on the output device and how it interprets postscript).  It has to do with how adobe flattens images, etc....  most likely it's a transparency issue that was flattened and now it's a transparent image.  there's ways around that though.  Can you email me the PDF?

stephenjmetts@gmail.com
SJM