You are viewing this document in PDF/A mode.

Started by ratintrap, December 09, 2009, 11:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratintrap

Quote from: Joe on December 09, 2009, 12:01:35 PMPDF/A is an ISO standard for PDFs. Documents you scan to PDF are PDF/A-compliant.You can specify whether you want to view documents in this viewing mode.
  • In the Preferences dialog box under Categories,select Documents.
  • Choose an option for View Documents In PDF/A Mode: Never,or Only For PDF/A Documents. You can switch in or out of PDF/A viewing mode by changingthis preference setting again.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Joe.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

ratintrap

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2009, 12:09:51 PMYes, it takes forever. It's the little tiny Poinsettia border they got in the lower left hand corner. I made the RGB blacks, straight black, and left the border 4-color. You can change the prefs for how you view PDFs. I noticed you can turn PDF-A off.

Whoops, Joe beat me to it.

Those are poinsettias???!!! They're so small they just look like miniscule dots to me.

Thanks for polishing the turd DCS. :cool:

mattbeals

PDF/A mode isn't a bad thing. PDF/X is a subset of PDF/A. Use the built in preflight tools to convert to PDF/X. Under Acrobats preferences there is a Documents tab, show PDF/A to control when you see the blue bar. But to remove it, you'll have to save to PostScript or place in InDesign. Acrobat is doing what it should do in this case, display it as it should (as a PDF/A file).
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

David

1313 Mockingbird Lane is the Munsters

funny as hell, there is one here in my town....
Munster House
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: ratintrap on December 09, 2009, 03:42:55 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2009, 12:09:51 PMYes, it takes forever. It's the little tiny Poinsettia border they got in the lower left hand corner. I made the RGB blacks, straight black, and left the border 4-color. You can change the prefs for how you view PDFs. I noticed you can turn PDF-A off.

Whoops, Joe beat me to it.

Those are poinsettias???!!! They're so small they just look like miniscule dots to me.

Thanks for polishing the turd DCS. :cool:

No problem buddy.
Member #285 - Civilian

ratintrap

DCS, the poinsettias were microscopic when you looked at them on your screen, weren't they?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yes. That is exactly the reason it was taking forever to redraw. There were like 500 tiny little windows metafiles. Acrobat no likey.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2009, 06:03:22 PMYes. That is exactly the reason it was taking forever to redraw. There were like 500 tiny little windows metafiles. Acrobat no likey.

I hate when I get those. And Prinergy doesn't like trying to trap it either.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2009, 06:07:15 PMNeither does Apogee X.

I usually open the page in Photoshop at 300 dpi CMYK and crop the graphic out. Delete it from the original PDF and place the new rasterized image in the PDF. The RIP loves me after that.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Hey, me too! What a coincidence! Sometimes I don't do shit to it. It really all depends on how "generous" I feel.
Member #285 - Civilian

ratintrap

I just made it into a plain thin border in Photoshop since that's what it would have looked like in print anyway. It's the first time I've seen anything quite like that.

ratintrap

Quote from: Joe on December 09, 2009, 06:04:55 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 09, 2009, 06:03:22 PMYes. That is exactly the reason it was taking forever to redraw. There were like 500 tiny little windows metafiles. Acrobat no likey.

I hate when I get those. And Prinergy doesn't like trying to trap it either.

Just so everyone knows what what we're talking about, here's a super duper closeup of the border in question.

Here's what it looks like in the ad.

Aside from rasterizing, is there any other way of dealing with this kind of thing? Just remember that I'm Acrobat 9 only, no Pit Stop. :sad:

A Pit Stop solution might be helpful for someone else though.

Joe

So they are reduced so much to make it just appear as a rule? Punching a designer comes to mind but probably not practical.