Network errors

Started by Typegurl, January 21, 2012, 08:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typegurl

Hey guys
Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this Network Diagram?
There's five things wrong with it and I for the life of me can't figure them out. But then again I don't do networking.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks   :azn:

frailer

There are people here who understand TCP/IP. There's this while you're waiting.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Typegurl

Thanks Frailer
I have a feeling some of the IP addresses are wrong in the diagram I sent everyone to look at.

Joe

Are they all setup for dynamic IP addresses? Workstation-A - 2c - and 2d appear to have the wrong IP address. I've never really dealt with a separate DHCP server as I usually let the router/firewall hand out IP addresses so I'm not really sure. I avoid subnets when possible. Is workstation-3a hooked up to router-c?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Typegurl

Thanks Joe
This is all rather new to me. (networking) Do you have a good source to explain the basics?
This is actually a school project that my husband is having trouble with.
I agree, I think that some of the IP address are wrong. To fix them would I just go into System Preferences, network on the mac and somehow change the IP address?
The assignment was to just find 5 things wrong and to describe how to fix them.
Thanks again Joe

Chilbear

Since it is a school project what has the hubby found to be wrong. I see lots that I do not like.

frailer

A couple of stabs only...  2 stations below pipe on left seem to have same IP address. And should not those sub-nets masks end in different digits?  ....255.255.x,y,  ....   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on January 22, 2012, 01:49:24 PMA couple of stabs only...  2 stations below pipe on left seem to have same IP address. And should not those sub-nets masks end in different digits?  ....255.255.x,y,  ....   :undecided:

Actually Workstation B & C have the same IP address. That is wrong. Subnets can have the same addresses.

Quote from: Typegurl on January 22, 2012, 11:06:21 AMThanks Joe
This is all rather new to me. (networking) Do you have a good source to explain the basics?
This is actually a school project that my husband is having trouble with.
I agree, I think that some of the IP address are wrong. To fix them would I just go into System Preferences, network on the mac and somehow change the IP address?
The assignment was to just find 5 things wrong and to describe how to fix them.
Thanks again Joe

If they are dynamic IP addresses then the DHCP server hands out the addresses and there is a problem with the DHCP server if it is handing out the same IP to two different computers. If they are static IP addresses you can change them in the Mac network system preferences. The network map doesn't really say what they are.

OK 5 things are wrong:

1. Workstation-B and Workstation-C have the same IP address

2. Workstation-2c has the wrong IP address

3. Workstation-2d has the wrong IP address

4. Workstation-2d has the wrong gateway/router address

5. Printer-2a has the wrong gateway/router address

tomshardware.com is always a good place to start with any tech issues:

LAN 101: Networking Basics
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Typegurl

Thank you Joe and thank you everyone. You have shed some light on this complicated matter. LOL
The video from Frailer helped a bit and the link to tomshardware was also helpful.

mattbeals

Well if this is all the network is then it's way more complex than it needs to be.

Printer A cannot have an address of 192.168.125.255
Workstation B & C have the same IP address
The DHCP server on the left can't be handing out IP address for all subnets unless all routers are connected to their own NIC's.
I suppose workstation 2d could be using a remote router but shouldn't.
Routers A, B and C are all on their own subnet, but where is the switch that connects them?

I'm sure there are other problems but I'm too tired.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.