Digital Camera

Started by beck, February 08, 2012, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

I'm looking to replace my digital camera.  While packing for Cozumel (9 days, 19 hours til Takeoff, but who's counting?) I discovered my old one crapped out on me.  Turns on, lens pops out, but the back display is dead.

Any recommendations on cameras under $200.00?  Looking for something that takes good pictures, durable.  Prefer to NOT use AA or AAA batteries.  Not looking for a $49.99 "Throw-away".

Thanks in advance,

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

beck

Lucky dawg?  What?  About my camera dying?  :wink:

Joe

t-pat

Quote from: beck  on February 08, 2012, 01:00:35 PMI'm looking to replace my digital camera.  While packing for Cozumel (9 days, 19 hours til Takeoff, but who's counting?) I discovered my old one crapped out on me.  Turns on, lens pops out, but the back display is dead.

Any recommendations on cameras under $200.00?  Looking for something that takes good pictures, durable.  Prefer to NOT use AA or AAA batteries.  Not looking for a $49.99 "Throw-away".

Thanks in advance,

beck

take a look at any of the flavors of Pentax Optio WG-1. Just picked up one for the wife, it has some interesting features like digital microscope mode, and a led ring around the lens. They start at around $189
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

frailer

It's a competitive market. Bit of a Fujifilm fan here. daughter got one of these as a slip-in-the-pocket/handbag number. Very impressive new CMOS on it. Refreshes in a blink; no lag detectable. New low-light capabilities.

Have a squizz at the CMOS tech. Where Fujifilm has an edge, I think.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DCurry

Why no AA or AAA batteries? I've always preferred cameras that use them as opposed to a proprietary rechargeable battery because in a pinch I can always buy extra AAs, but can't always find a place or have the time to recharge a proprietary one.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

A trade-off for the slip-in-the-pocket thing, I guess. Li-ion batteries these days are a far cry from the dreaded Ni-Cads. 
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

beck

Quote from: DCurry on February 08, 2012, 03:52:32 PMWhy no AA or AAA batteries? I've always preferred cameras that use them as opposed to a proprietary rechargeable battery because in a pinch I can always buy extra AAs, but can't always find a place or have the time to recharge a proprietary one.
Seems I can get a smaller camera without the AA or AAA.
Joe

frailer

I'd say so. The new Li-ions are pretty slim. No memory to speak of... so shouldn't crap out as quickly as NiCads.

Tracy

I was gonna post my digital camera model, but you probably don't want one because they seem to get lost easily.
I had Nikon S8100 not too expensive a little bit bigger lens than the normal quick shot cameras

It looks like I might have lost it this past weekend when I went to The Wild Animal Park :cry:

gnubler

Quote from: DCurry on February 08, 2012, 03:52:32 PMWhy no AA or AAA batteries? I've always preferred cameras that use them as opposed to a proprietary rechargeable battery because in a pinch I can always buy extra AAs, but can't always find a place or have the time to recharge a proprietary one.

Ditto. I learned that lesson with my shitty DV camera.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

boosted29

I can't afford an iPhone and a regular camera.
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on February 09, 2012, 02:26:41 PMI was gonna post my digital camera model, but you probably don't want one because they seem to get lost easily.
I had Konica S8100 not too expensive a little bit bigger lens than the normal quick shot cameras

It looks like I might have lost it this past weekend when I went to The Wild Animal Park :cry:
stolen, perhaps?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

This is a cool site. Never had to use it myself but it's a good idea. They use metadata from existing photos to trace other images uploaded on line.

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 09, 2012, 03:47:55 PM
Quote from: Tracy on February 09, 2012, 02:26:41 PMI was gonna post my digital camera model, but you probably don't want one because they seem to get lost easily.
I had Nikon S8100 not too expensive a little bit bigger lens than the normal quick shot cameras

stolen, perhaps?

Im good with that, I would like to think it was someone else's fault :laugh:
I put in a lost and found request (dreaming)?
oh and it was a Nikon I don't know where I got Konica :laugh: