Weird networking issue

Started by Joe, February 27, 2012, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Burns

Quote from: Joe on February 27, 2012, 05:55:41 PMThis is a new router. I was wrong about WEP. I used WEP on the previous router. This one doesn't even have WEP as an option. I am using WPA2-PSK (AES).

You weren't lying about the weird, just to be safe I would strengthen your SSID to 32 characters and your WPA2 key to 64. PITA but it would be my second step, first would be 1 device straight to modem and a scan, if they're still there, it's obviously bleeding through, if not, they're coming in from you're router and it needs to be locked down tighter. Make 'em work for it.

If you strengthen your SSID and Key, you're running as good as it gets, unless you wanna step up to WPA2 enterprise which requires a radius server.

Unfortunately, even WPA2 has been cracked, but it's usually because of default or simple SSID's and weak passwords. It quickly becomes not worth the effort once you strengthen these.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

Joe

Shall give that a try Nick. Thanks.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I don't see what making a long SSID would do, but I would definitely change it. I want to change mine to "FBI_surveillance_van."

Making a long WPA2 key with a good mix of seemingly random numbers and letters is just common sense.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Just use terms like virus, plague, infection, and Yani and that should keep people off.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Nick Burns

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 28, 2012, 12:02:30 PMI don't see what making a long SSID would do,

There are arguments raging over this (like most everything else), you can choose to err on whichever side you want, I've already chosen my side.

Detractors say it's a computationally nominal annoyance, protractors like myself say use everything you got, layers upon layers, it's my job to annoy (& destroy) you, you may get in, but you'll pay a hefty cover charge, and more likely you'll just walk away defeated.

The fact is that the hash IS salted with the SSID. Think about it, are you gonna spend days thrashing cycles and rainbows on me when Billy Bob next door's SSID is "linksys"?
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!