Suitcase Fusion 4 will not start!?

Started by RMPrepress, May 11, 2013, 08:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMPrepress

Could Suitcase Fusion 4 be affected in any way by using Jumbo Frames on a switch?
All new switches and network... changed all the ethernet cards on all prepress computers and servers to Jumbo frames for faster backups and downloads.
Now on 3 different Mac Pro's we can't even get Suitcase 4 to launch ...no warnings no nothing...it opens and then quits in the same breath!!!???

Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

Anything is possible but I found an old post at the Apple forums you might want to try.

QuoteThis is a bit of an open and shut post as I've found the solution, but it's a bit obscure so thought I'd stick it up here in case anyone else had this problem.

After installing the 10.5.8 update, Suitcase Fusion (am using v12.1.7) would bounce once in the dock and then abort. I called Applecare (who had surprisingly not heard of this Application) and they suggested moving the com.extensis.suitcase.plist preferences file to the desktop and restarting my Mac (essentially resetting Suitcase Fusion).

No joy.

I didn't feel that re-installing Suitcase Fusion was going to do any good, so said thank you and went back to scouring Google ...and lo, the solution was there all along...

The problem had something to do with the *Bonjour Name* of my Mac. Apparently, if you have any special characters in your *Computer Name* or if it exceeds 20 characters, then this causes a problem with the *Bonjour Name* and then consequently with Suitcase Fusion ...simples.

See? ...told you it was obscure.

Solution:

1. Open *System Preferences > Sharing*

2. Change the *Computer Name* to something shorter with no spaces or special characters, something like MyName-MacBookPro

(NB. If you're not logged in as an Admin user, you'll need to click the lock and enter a password first)

3. Click Edit... to ensure that the .local name is the same

4. Close *System Preferences* and restart your Mac

And Bob's your Uncle, that should do the trick :o)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I had this issue on Windows about a year or so ago. I contacted Extensis, and I ended up totally removing and reinstalling about 3-4 times. I think I had to delete some registry stuff. Here's their "official" response:

here are some troubleshooting steps:

[X] Check any Anti-Virus/Firewall settings that could be blocking SF3

Temporarily disable any anti-virus/firewall software when troubleshooting. You may need to make your anti-virus/firewall software aware of SF3 and the FMCore to avoid conflicts. Check with the developer on how to add a program as an exception or to an approved programs list if necessary.

[X] Do you have a bad SF3 preference file?

1) open windows task manager (control + alt + delete)

2) choose the processes tab

3) locate "FMCore.exe" and click the "end process" button

4) remove the following files:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Extensis\com.extensis.FMCore-LaunchInfo

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Extensis\com.extensis.SuitcaseFusion.db

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Extensis\FontManagementUI.exe (folder)

NOTE: "AppData" is a hidden folder. In order to view it, choose Start > Control Panel  > Folder Options > View tab and check "Show hidden files and folders."

5) open SF3

[X] Do you have a bad SF3 fontvault?

4) move your font vault (it contains copies of your fonts and font sets) to the desktop for safety:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Extensis\Suitcase Fusion\Suitcase Fusion.fontvault

NOTE: AppData is a hidden folder. In order to view it, choose Start > Control Panel  > Folder Options > View tab and check "Show hidden files and folders."

5) open SF3

[X] Do you have a bad installation of SF3?

4) remove SF3 through start > control panel > add & remove programs

5) choose start > run > regedit and remove the following registry keys:

*       Hkey_current_user > software > extensis > suitcase fusion 3

*       Hkey_local_machine > software > extensis > suitcase fusion 3

*       Hkey_users > [long alphanumeric id] > software > extensis > suitcase fusion 3

6) restart the machine

7) re-install SF3. you can download the current version here :  http://www.extensis.com/en/support/suitcase-fusion-3.jsp

8) even if you have an administrator account, run the install as an administrator: Right Click / Run as administrator

9) if you are able to get SF3 working properly then you can return to your old fontvault. heres how:

a) in SF3 choose Edit > Preferences > Type Core and press the "Stop FMCore" button

b) move your old vault back to the default SF3 font vault location

c) open SF3. you should see your fonts and font sets as they were.

[X] Try a new windows user account

If none of the above has worked then try creating a new windows user account for testing purposes. If SF3 works properly under a new windows user account then there is a problem with your old user account.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway