How much do your pressmen make?

Started by gnubler, December 03, 2013, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

I know of a good pressman who's looking for work and wanted to pass on some general marketplace info to him.

Do you know how much your press operators make? Well, how much then?

What type of presses do they run?

How long have they been in the business?

What city are you in?

Do you know any press operators who lost their job and found work in printing elsewhere? Describe.

If you're a manager, what would make you hire or not hire a press operator?

Thanks.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

1) Head pressmen for a web press make in the $20 - $25 per hour range here.

2) Web press.

3) 10 - 30 years

4) St Louis metro area I guess it is considered.

5) Many. A good pressman probably can find work if they are willing to move.

6) Plant manager and owners hire/fire pressmen. Prepress has no say so I can't answer that last one.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Head pressmen here (sheetfed folding carton operation) make in the $25 - $30 per hour range. I believe that is fairly typical for large format press operators in Ontario.

Sheetfed CD74 & CD102 Heidelbergs

Most of our lead operators have at least 10 years experience. Shift supervisors (former lead pressmen) have 25 - 35 years.

What city are you in?
Southern Ontario, about 2 hours outside the GTA (Greater Toronto area)

Do you know any press operators who lost their job and found work in printing elsewhere? Describe.
A few. Printing operations of any size are few in this area with Transcon (web) & our company being the bigger operations, however, there are many opportunities for a good press operator in the GTA. Most of the operators that have left our company have headed to one of the urban centres in the GTA and have found work easily.

Human resources in conjunction with Operations and the shift supervisors are responsible for hiring/firing. Prepress rarely bends anyone's ear around here. If it were up to me, excellent knowledge of colour theory, good colour eye, recognition of the importance of preventive maintenance and record-keeping, and a good mechanical maintenance background would be a must.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Totally ripping off Andy's formatting... :hello:

$20 - $30 per hour range. I believe that is fairly typical for S Florida. Ours is making between $20-25

Sheetfed MO Heidelberg (circa 1986, so it's like a vintage car  :laugh:)
But there's some print shop around here that offered our Prod Mgr a $25/hr job just running a Printmaster :huh:

Our current pressman has been in the biz for about 10 years

What city are you in?
SWFL

Our current pressman moved from Maryland to here. Once again, if they are willing to move, they will find work, it's still out there. S Florida has a lot of printing in the area, both coasts.

not a manager
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

My husband has been a pressman for 27 years.

At the last shop which was commercial, he made $25.10/hour. Ran a ManRoland 700 5 color. 2/3 perfect, 41" (This was considered underpaid) $28-$30 is going rate. Hammond, IN, union shop

He's in a carton house now and makes $36.65/hour. Runs a ManRoland 900 7 color, 56" (Started on a 6 color same machine. 7 color is a year old). It's one sided printing mainly. They have a sheeter that can print on the crap side while it's sheeting if need be. Alsip, IL, non-union

Location is a big deal.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Skryber

In that case, he gets 3 weeks of vaca. Been there 7 years (He bought a week). And profit sharing which hasn't been as good the last few years because of the equipment they've been buying, but it's something. He used to get around 120 hours. Now it's around 40.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Farabomb

The benefits of working for family are amazing!  :cry:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Thx for the input. I'll give it another few days before passing it onto my pressman.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

I work about 30 hours a week. I'm the only one doing the job. No vaca. No holiday pay. Sucks hard during the holidays because we are closed so I don't even have the option to work. So last week, I got paid 3 days bc closed thurs and fri.

Farabomb

Ugh, that sucks. I got suckered into salary, work 40-45 on average, have vacation but can't take it in blocks longer than 2 days if the shop is open it seems. I'm also on call at times (like tonight), there is no such thing as sick days and get bitched at if I leave to do to the doctors.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

No idea what they make, but I'm certain in my area it's above $25/hour for a solid one
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on December 04, 2013, 03:21:28 PMUgh, that sucks. I got suckered into salary, work 40-45 on average, have vacation but can't take it in blocks longer than 2 days if the shop is open it seems. I'm also on call at times (like tonight), there is no such thing as sick days and get bitched at if I leave to do to the doctors.

LEAVE. This is family? Leave.

Skry is on the right track, I also work about what she works and it's a tolerable sacrifice.

andyfest

Quote from: Skryber on December 04, 2013, 02:29:27 PMI work about 30 hours a week. I'm the only one doing the job. No vaca. No holiday pay. Sucks hard during the holidays because we are closed so I don't even have the option to work. So last week, I got paid 3 days bc closed thurs and fri.
Usual work week is 45 - 50 hrs, which can make for long days Mon - Thurs, but I always leave early Friday (1:30 pm), no matter what. Salary so no OT. 5 weeks holidays, but then again I've been here since Jesus was a carpenter. I threw out my company cell 7 years ago and they don't bother calling me after hours at home because I don't answer the phone.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro