Preps 6 PDF--PDF Read Error: PDFRead3

Started by pmdark, November 05, 2015, 02:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Lyzan on November 06, 2015, 02:59:32 AM
Quote from: pmdark on November 06, 2015, 01:39:23 AM
Quote from: Joe on November 06, 2015, 01:05:05 AMYeah I don't know that you can either. I use CONNECT.  ;D

This is not even close to your situation as I am on a Mac but I do have Acrobat DC on this Mac but my version of Preps is version 7. I created a new job and added a set of pages created in InDesign CS5 and printed an imposed PDF and I didn't get the error you are getting.

When are you getting the error? When it starts to print and fails or does it print the PDF and you get the error when you try to open it in Acrobat? Or where exactly?

=3= rawr! my boss should really consider upgrading to a higher version! The error happens when it starts to print :(...

No, you just need to downgrade to PDF/X-1a.

//Lyzan

Disagree unless you have a RIP that doesn't do transparency. Otherwise you are just destroying a perfectly good PDF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Why not X-4 instead of the older X-1a?

I remember Preps not liking something back in the day but I'm not sure if I nailed it down to the PDF fault. I had to change to .jdf files.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on November 06, 2015, 10:04:43 AMWhy not X-4 instead of the older X-1a?

I remember Preps not liking something back in the day but I'm not sure if I nailed it down to the PDF fault. I had to change to .jdf files.

You use Evo right? Could he just output the .jdf and then send that into Evo?

Farabomb

That's the only option I know of. Preps is separate in EVO.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Someone send me a PDF made in DC and I'll run it through and see what happens.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

The thing is the PDF's are not made in DC. They are made from InDesign CS 5. The problem only started happening for him after he installed Acrobat DC on his Windows PC.

Farabomb

Yeah, I didn't read the whole thing. I wouldn't put it past Adobe screwing things up.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Lyzan

Quote from: Joe on November 06, 2015, 09:57:34 AM
Quote from: Lyzan on November 06, 2015, 02:59:32 AM
Quote from: pmdark on November 06, 2015, 01:39:23 AM
Quote from: Joe on November 06, 2015, 01:05:05 AMYeah I don't know that you can either. I use CONNECT.  ;D

This is not even close to your situation as I am on a Mac but I do have Acrobat DC on this Mac but my version of Preps is version 7. I created a new job and added a set of pages created in InDesign CS5 and printed an imposed PDF and I didn't get the error you are getting.

When are you getting the error? When it starts to print and fails or does it print the PDF and you get the error when you try to open it in Acrobat? Or where exactly?

=3= rawr! my boss should really consider upgrading to a higher version! The error happens when it starts to print :(...

No, you just need to downgrade to PDF/X-1a.

//Lyzan

Disagree unless you have a RIP that doesn't do transparency. Otherwise you are just destroying a perfectly good PDF.

But his PDF was not perfectly good PDF, otherwise he will be able to do it in Preps 6 without problem.  His problem has nothing to do with whatever version of Acrobat he has. But it has something to do with how his PDF was re-purposed to meet Preps 6 requisites.

Anyway, you are generally right. I should had just told him to try PDF/X. And for me both PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-4 are perfectly good PDF for print.

Usually error like that in Preps was a result of opening a PDF file in Acrobat and saving it "innocently" to whatever version because who knows what additional information the new version of Acrobat is putting in the file. 

Joe

Quote from: Lyzan on November 07, 2015, 11:36:18 AMBut his PDF was not perfectly good PDF, otherwise he will be able to do it in Preps 6 without problem.  His problem has nothing to do with whatever version of Acrobat he has. But it has something to do with how his PDF was re-purposed to meet Preps 6 requisites.

Anyway, you are generally right. I should had just told him to try PDF/X. And for me both PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-4 are perfectly good PDF for print.

Usually error like that in Preps was a result of opening a PDF file in Acrobat and saving it "innocently" to whatever version because who knows what additional information the new version of Acrobat is putting in the file.

I don't think that is correct. The PDF's are created with InDesign CS5. The issue only started happening after he installed Acrobat DC. I don't think the problem is only happening with PDF's that he saved out of Acrobat DC. I think it is happening with any PDF's that he is using regardless of when, where, or how they were created. He can correct me if I am wrong in that assumption.

pmdark

I got it working! i saw a post about changing/putting something in Preps config file? (USE_PPT_PDFLIB:YES) and miraculously it worked!  :banana:  Thank you  for your help guys! :)

btw...o.o is it ok editing config file or will it screw things up?
Preps 6 User

Joe

Quote from: pmdark on November 09, 2015, 07:46:00 PMbtw...o.o is it ok editing config file or will it screw things up?

As when editing anything...keep a backup of the original.

Farabomb

As long as you keep a backup of the old file you should be fine. I've modified my config file for our specs and I rarely have issue with preps. Though I do get jammed up when customers use / and other characters but that's easily fixed.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job