xx
Plate Processors
by Possum
August 17, 2017, 09:57:58 AM

xx
press calibration
by pspdfppdfxhd
August 16, 2017, 08:13:39 AM

Topic: harlequin rip driving digital color printer (Read 706 times) previous topic - next topic

harlequin rip driving digital color printer
This may be a dumb question, and yeah, I am full of them sometimes.

But has anyone used the Harlequin rip to control and digital copier/press?

If we could use this rip with upgrade modules to drive our new (yet to be acquired) color printer. I mean it would have to have a controller that would allow step and repeat, cut and stack, curve manipulation for color etc. etc.

Right now on our bizhub 6500 we have the creo rip option and if we buy a new one and use the Harlequin rip to drive it, then we won't have to add the big expense of buying a new rip as the creo is pretty well out of date I would think.

Re: harlequin rip driving digital color printer
Reply #1
I've contacted Xitron through email support and they are telling me it can be done.
They have forwarded the inquiry to sales.... be interesting to see what they come up with.

• Possum
  • [*]
Reply #2
What will be interesting is seeing if the digital printer vendor will cooperate. I imagine there will have to be a little tweaking in the machine's software, and they might not like not being able to sell you a RIP.

Do let us know how this comes out. It's such a novel idea, but it may catch on. May cause some high and mighty digital vendors to get a little scared.
No Facebook, no iAnything. What am I missing?
G4 Quicksilver 933, Mac OSX 10.4.11

Reply #3
Okay, forget I said it, don't wanna be snuffed out over this.

Nevermind.

We won't be doing this.

:drunk3: :drunk3: :drunk3: :drunk3:

Reply #4
Don't want Canon coming after me with a cannon

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Reply #5
Too late. The cat is already out of the bag!

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Possum
  • [*]
Reply #6
They won't come after you, they can just say No.

Look, if you can get it done, it puts the ball in their court to price their junk so that you wouldn't want to try running their machine without a RIP they sold you. They'll try to discourage you, yes, but your blood will not be on the floor.

And if this catches on, maybe you'll see some price changes. This could cause a big ripple across the digital machine industry. You might get a statue in the park for starting it (complete with bird poop, but you've had that on you before).
No Facebook, no iAnything. What am I missing?
G4 Quicksilver 933, Mac OSX 10.4.11

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Reply #7
They may but less than responsive if you need support if you don't use their RIP.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• frailer
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sydney, OZ.
Reply #8
You might get a statue in the park for starting it (complete with bird poop, but you've had that on you before).

You mean like the Jubilation T. Cornpone one, in Dogpatch?
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~