Preps 7: vignettes not imposing properly

Started by DPSprint, May 28, 2017, 07:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

Outline the font?

I know nothing tho :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on September 26, 2017, 02:42:30 PMOutline the font?

Actually that is a good idea to try.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DPSprint

Quote from: Joe on September 26, 2017, 03:07:02 PM

yeap I could try that except its a 76 pages annual report book, the ps/distill the file works ok so will stick to that I think... seems to be the easiest fix.

LOL and you dont know nothing Tracy! You know lots ;-)

DPSprint

Quote from: david on September 26, 2017, 02:40:11 PMjust curious...  is the vignette in question rotated perhaps?

I know preps has had issues in the past (distant past, haven't used it in a year) with rotated items not "holding".
I will have a look...
actually yes the text has -33 degrees on it, although some of the boxes have 180 degrees but they dont seem to be affected.
I could make some text without rotated fill and see what that does...

Joe

Quote from: DPSprint on September 26, 2017, 04:10:43 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 26, 2017, 03:07:02 PM

yeap I could try that except its a 76 pages annual report book, the ps/distill the file works ok so will stick to that I think... seems to be the easiest fix.

LOL and you dont know nothing Tracy! You know lots ;-)

Actually with a Global Change with Pitstop it would be a one click fix to outline the text in the whole document. And converting to postscript and distilling should be used as a next-to-last option right before rasterizing the PDF. :rotf:

DPSprint

yeah rasterising not really in the picture (LOL get it?) for me, although i have done it once for a file going to the plate RIP
I might test the outlining fonts, when I get time...

*adds to list of things to try

and I just worked out that the first file i had issue with was a year ago, with the last annual report for this company from this designer LOL

Joe

AHHHHAAAAAA...it is becoming more clear. Faulty designer. :rotf:

DPSprint

lol... i wish, but the more recent file was from a different designer.

Joe

Oh I thought you said it was from the same designer.

DPSprint

Both these annual reports were from the same designer, but the last file was unrelated, but had the same issue.

So I was curious, and had the time... and the converting to paths worked as well. ;-)

So which would be a better path to take... PS/distilling the file or just converting to paths?

On another side note, it doesnt do it on all text with gradient fills, just some of them.

Joe

PS/Distilling is never a good option. Like I said next to last option. ;D

I would be interested to know if the problem fonts are freeware fonts. We have a lot of issues with those in Prinergy.

DPSprint

Avenir Black truetype, pretty common and reliable older font I would have thought?

Funny how so many problems come down to a font issue of some description, always has been and I guess it always will be.

I looked through all the text with gradients on this latest file (last years one some did and some didnt, and looking again it used Avenir black T1, so technically a different font but same issue) even the ones with no rotation have the same problem... and yet when manually imposed in indesign the gradient is fine, so its a font-gradient-preps problem; preps either doesnt understand the gradient or is not getting the info correctly from the file? Ultimately its preps creating the issue I guess.

At least i have a workaround (will go with the paths to outlines from now on, thanks Tracey for suggesting)... as long as I see the problem before print!
Proofs are invaluable really.

Joe

Well that isn't a freeware font so that shoots that thought in the ass.

Fonts are just plain evil.

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Farabomb

If it makes you feel any better all sorts of HelveticaNeue fonts are ruining my day today.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

A really good designer could design with just one font :laugh: 

get rid of the rest :dev2: