News:

Main Menu

Pitstop 2017

Started by Tracy, July 05, 2017, 10:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Ear on August 03, 2017, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: Joe on August 03, 2017, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: Ear on August 03, 2017, 11:30:25 AMBut we're printers, we don't care about how other people use PDF.  :cane: It does stand for Prepress Document Format, right? I rest my case.

Ummmm....right. :rotf:
:hello:  seriously, warchild. WTF does the rest of the world need PDF for, FFS? It just confuses them as to what a PDF really is. They all claim a shitty jpeg "looks good on their screen"... I say, give them jpegs and let us printers keep the PDF.

You got my vote buddy! :fistbump: :yourock:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on August 03, 2017, 11:43:54 AMPDF X4 is still below standard, for 2017 model workflows... I too will lose the argument, but in 5 years, when everyone else upgrades, they will have the same growing pains.

They are working on the next version: PDF 2.0

abc

PDF 2.0 is done and published. Now it's PDF/X-6 which is based on 2.0

Joe

Quote from: abc on August 03, 2017, 12:43:25 PMPDF 2.0 is done and published. Now it's PDF/X-6 which is based on 2.0

Is there a place to get the PDF/X-6 job options anywhere?

Joe

Hmmmm...I guess I found my answer. Posted last January.

Quote from: Originally posted by Dov IsaacsThe PDF/X-6 standard is still in active development and will likely be published no earlier than late 2018.

- Dov

abc

The specs not finished yet, it's still being worked on.

Ear

Tell Dov to step on it... these pre-PDF 1.7 files are really giving me grief in the RIP. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

abc

Any idea why?
What's the issue...

Ear

I have a number of ideas why.... PDF/X 4 uses PDF 1.6, I believe. I get some PDF/X 4 from Quark Clients and they work fairly well.

Adobe CC uses some pretty sweet new features and it feels like the older PDF versions have trouble. I handle dozens of large PDFs per day, and I see a lot of odd things. I can say this for sure, if I get PDF 1.4 or PDF/X 1a, and the client doesn't want to fix the export, I will flatten to postscript, or it will almost certainly have transparency and rendering problems. And, PDF 1.7 is the only PDF version to allow me to convert spot to process in the RIP, with transparency involved and not knock a hole in something.

Without fail, when I have a problem PDF exported as PDF 1.7, it flies through my Xitron Sierra RIP.

PDF 1.7 is pretty old its self. I'm thinking previous PDF versions couldn't have had support for things that didn't exist yet, like Open Type fonts and some of the crazy transparency features. I can try to keep better track of specific issues. I have yet to have a PDF 1.7 go sideways on me. All other versions do different naughty things that cause hate and discontent.

I guess I don't see the logic in making a new version of something, but continuing to use a legacy format... if we are using a 2001 or 2008 PDF version, why upgrade anything? I'm just sick of straightening out Adobe's poor presets all day, every day. Hurry up with PDF 2.0 and get it right, then make a damn "Printers Love It" preset, so people actually use it. Then I can retire. 

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

... the scary reality is, if Adobe ever does listen and get their presets and APPE workflows to jive, and ditch the legacy settings, so people are forced to not do it wrong.... I will be forced to retire. People screwing up PDFs all day and Adobe not having proper export presets keeps me busy, and keeps me necessary. hmmm, guess I should shut up.  :shocked:

Farabomb

Dude... you're gonna get us busted. Shut up!
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Customers will always find a way to do it wrong. Doesn't matter what Adobe does with APPE, the version of PDF whether it is PDF 1.7, PDF 2.0, 8.0 or 216.0 or presets for X4, X6, X22 or X999. DOOMED!

Ear

I got a PDF/X 1a the other day... PDF 1.3... the Workflow wouldn't even recognize it as a valid PDF to load it. I had to re-fry it up above 1.4... so it appears you are correct. It was out of InDesign CC too. :-\ ... if Adobe removed that capability, it would be a start.

Joe

You know how designers think...if it worked 20 years ago it will be even better now!

:facepalm:

Tracy

My Pitstop Action to reduce ink density is not working
trying to use the Gracol 280
anyone else?