Convert Scitex LW/CT format to something usable?

Started by G_Town, July 24, 2017, 11:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

I a couple files need to be converted any suggestions??

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

Prinergy might be able to take them in and spit out a PDF. I'd be happy to give it a try.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

mattbeals

They're rasters, all you can do is wrap them in a PDF. You aren't going to extract anything "editable".
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

G_Town

Quote from: mattbeals on July 24, 2017, 12:06:31 PMThey're rasters, all you can do is wrap them in a PDF. You aren't going to extract anything "editable".

Not really looking to make them editable just into a file format that their RIP can handle.

mattbeals

You may have to send screened 1-bit TIFF's. I don't know that the end users RIP will process the CT/LW wrapped in a PDF. We would need to know what RIP's are being used on the sender and recipients side to have a better answer.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Years ago we used a program called Shira that would convert them into about any format you could think of but I haven't seen or heard anything about that program for years. And it was high dollar software from an Israeli company. We used to convert from Scitex CT/LW to Linotype-Hell CT/LW. But it could also convert to PC/Mac formats as well. Photoshop can open the CT if that helps any. And there used to be a photoshop extension for opening the LW files but I can't remember what it was called. It was many moons ago and I think we were on Photoshop 3 or 4 back then.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2017, 03:54:30 PMYears ago we used a program called Shira that would convert them into about any format you could think of but I haven't seen or heard anything about that program for years. And it was high dollar software from an Israeli company. We used to convert from Scitex CT/LW to Linotype-Hell CT/LW. But it could also convert to PC/Mac formats as well. Photoshop can open the CT if that helps any. And there used to be a photoshop extension for opening the LW files but I can't remember what it was called. It was many moons ago and I think we were on Photoshop 3 or 4 back then.
My new compadre here says he used to use Shira. "I may have it in my garage at home...I've got all sorts of crap in there..."
He's not joking; when they closed their pp bureau doors he got all the equipment. If there's a pp museum starting up somewhere, his stuff would be a good base point.

DaiNippon drum scanners, Fujifilm flatbeds... you name it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Adriano

Doesn't Prinergy do that with old Brisque files?
Still not drinking. Never been better

Joe

Quote from: Adriano on July 24, 2017, 07:01:26 PMDoesn't Prinergy do that with old Brisque files?

Yeah if you have that license.

Good to hear from you Adriano. Hope all is going well.

Adriano

All good Joe. Thank you. Reversed back to the old Prinergy 7.1. Having fonts issues with clients for now. Better this way. Busy as usual and more busy with my other passion. Baking sourdough bread. Love it. Considering a change in life. Prepress is too much for an old guy like me. Starting to have really enough.

Joe

Good luck with that. I root for anyone trying to escape printing.

Adriano

Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2017, 08:05:50 PMGood luck with that. I root for anyone trying to escape printing.
Thank you Joe. Not too long to retirement anyway. Just cruising till the end. (which is very close)

Joe

Quote from: G_Town on July 24, 2017, 11:17:04 AMI a couple files need to be converted any suggestions??

Hey G_Town. Just looked and it appears I have a license for CEPS: CT/LW within Prinergy. If you can send them to me I'll see if I can convert them to something else.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!