scripting for importing Word files

Started by hotmetal, August 16, 2017, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmetal

I'm designing a 400+ page textbook with footnotes. Each chapter is a single Word .docx

I checked the preference in InDesign's File --> Place to import footnotes and it worked pretty well, bringing the footnotes in, more or less in position, as what appears to be a stand-alone cell. But there are formatting issues, like preserving italics, and thinking I've applied a style sheet only to find that it didn't actually change anything.

My web search took me to several discussions on writing scripts to deal with Indy formatting issues, and some posters offered to send scripts they had written. I don't belong to any of those groups, so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone around here savvy with writing scripts like this? I was writing unix shell scripts 30 years ago, so I'm not totally in the dark. Can anyone help me out with a script or two they've written for this sort of thing that I could use as a model for building my own? That would be great!

HM
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Slappy

Indesignsecrets dotcom has a pretty decent archive of scripts, and a section on their Forum dedicated to it also, might be worth browsing.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.