New external drive

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, February 28, 2018, 09:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

https://www.bestbuy.ca/Catalog/UsCustomerReviews.aspx?Sku=10453008

I am wondering if this will replace my 2TB Lacie drive, 12 years old and failing.

If not then does anyone have a better idea? Remember, everyone wants CHEAP and this one certainly fits the bill.

Some people in the reviews seemed to think it was not great with Macs.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

But is it Mac friendly?

Well we have to add the exchange rate up here, which is substantial.

Not too worried about the price, I thought they'd be around 500 dollars or more. (thinking in the past when they were very expensive)

Farabomb

Watch out, we bought a Toshiba for the car shop and it doesn't wake on a mac making it highly annoying with the time machine backup warning all the fecking time. Make sure it plays well with mac.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, we need that time machine backup to run smoothly for sure.

Joe

We have 3 of them and don't have any problem on our Macs. Read the reviews and Q&A on any site though.

Joe

If you are concerned about it working on Macs go to macsales.com. If you have any problems on a Mac they will make it right. Guaranteed!

andyfest

I usually deal with the local Staples and get Seagate externals for my TM b-ups. They are usually around $100 CAD, although you may hit a sale once in a while for the 2 tB drives.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: andyfest on February 28, 2018, 10:22:16 AMI usually deal with the local Staples and get Seagate externals for my TM b-ups. They are usually around $100 CAD, although you may hit a sale once in a while for the 2 tB drives.

Was thinking about 4TB plus. We use it to backup jobs that have been DVD'd. Never did fill that 2TB lacie up but it went about 3/4 full.

I know the Apple store would get us the right drive. But I doubt that's necessary and the cost might go 3X up.

Farabomb

You bet there will be a cost associated with it.

I actually just use a old drive slotted into one of the open slots in the mac pro for TM backup. Probably should find another one seeing as it's probably 8 years old now.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on February 28, 2018, 10:29:22 AM
Quote from: andyfest on February 28, 2018, 10:22:16 AMI usually deal with the local Staples and get Seagate externals for my TM b-ups. They are usually around $100 CAD, although you may hit a sale once in a while for the 2 tB drives.

Was thinking about 4TB plus. We use it to backup jobs that have been DVD'd. Never did fill that 2TB lacie up but it went about 3/4 full.

I know the Apple store would get us the right drive. But I doubt that's necessary and the cost might go 3X up.

That is why you go to macssales.com instead of apple.com. :tongue:

Just_A_Mac_Guy

4T WD MyBooks at Costco in Canada are areound $100-125 CND. Usually less in November to January. I have only had one ever fail at 2yrs old. Used as a media server for 2 tvs and 3 computers. I have  2 that are years older and 2 that are newer. No complaints.

pspdfppdfxhd

that sounds good "I do costco" and in Canada to boot.

But I gotta be careful if it plays well with macs.

pspdfppdfxhd

Don't know why you couldn't just reformat the damned thing.

Farabomb

It's not a formatting issue, it's if the drive will wake up after it goes to sleep. Some drives won't wake when attached to a mac.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job