Apple planning to replace Intel CPUs in Macs with custom ARM processors by 2020

Started by Joe, April 04, 2018, 07:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Apple planning to replace Intel CPUs in Macs

Not a fan of this idea. I remember the pain of going from PowerPC chips to Intel. Plus more proof they are going to make Mac OS X and iOS the same thing.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Adobe ought to love this. It'll give them instant excuses for their bugs. "It's Apple's fault, their processors are causing problems. You use Windows? It's still Apple's fault because of all the changes we had to make in our software to accommodate them."
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

scottrsimons

Really hate this idea! No more being able to run Windows or any other PC OS in a virtual environment. Way to go Apple, it was a good reason to keep Macs in a shop, and NOT have to get P(ieces of)C(rap) in our shop. Did I just show my bias.  :cane:  And I remember the old days of the Mac clones and the RISC processors. There were good things, and many bad, in comparisons to today. Today with the Intel is much better. Way more flexibility.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Farabomb

I'm a PC guy in a Mac world and I'll be the first to say they all suck. This is a mistake for Apple but they don't care, they'll still sell tons of them to the sheep that "think different".

They are 10000000% merging Mac OS and iOS. There is no reason for them not to. Is it all that horrible? I'm not sure but I do know they don't care because of the above rabid fanbase that would buy a steaming pile a feces for $1k as long as it had an apple logo on it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

It is in 2020 when it happens. Right about when I should retire. (I hope!)

Farabomb

I'm sorry Joe, you can't do that.

Your apple computer in the year 2020.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

scottrsimons

Quote from: Farabomb on April 04, 2018, 08:59:32 AMthe above rabid fanbase

If that was aimed at me, I take no offense. I am a "Apple fanboy", but I don't buy anything new, costs too dang much. And yes, I love Macs and use them everyday, but I also use PCs everyday. And have been for over 20 years.

Truthfully, they both are just tools to get a job done. Use what ever will get the job done better and faster for you.

Overall it sounds like we are going to be moving back to full scale business servers (different architecture) vs the home/desktop (or by the sound of it mobile) systems.

Good vs Bad, just like before only time will tell. As I can't say, seen Apple and Microsoft didn't call me for my direction before announcing their plan.  :cheesy: 
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Farabomb

No, no, that was not directed at you in the least. You have a preference and that's fine. In fact if I need to do any prepress work or Adobe work I prefer doing it on Mac. It's likely because of all the seat time I have behind this Mac Pro. I know I can use a PC and get the same results but I know where everything is on a Mac.

My issue is with the ones that refuse to touch a PC because "Mac is better". As you said, they're tools and the smart ones use the best tool available to get the job done.

Apple used to be an innovator. Now they're are marketing company that does what they want because they know they'll still sell. Their machines are way overpriced for the specs and in a way they influenced other markets because of their pricing. You used to be able to get inexpensive PCs that worked fine but didn't look as good as Macs. Now the PC makers have some slick looking hardware but you pay through the nose. I really need to build another PC real soon. I miss it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

I'm PC Illiterate, I can get by and figure it out but would rather not. :laugh:

DigiCorn

Personally, I find that Macs are quicker and more efficient "apples-to-apples," in the production environment for work, but at home I have several Windows 10 boxes and I like them more for personal use. The main reason is the inexpensiveness of upgrading, adding on, etc., and the simplicity of repair. I often cannibalize parts from older machines from friends, etc. and you simply can't do that with Mac stuff. Plus, the wider availability of games, software and hardware makes it a slam dunk for the way I want to goof off at home.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Yeah, the Macs are a bit more picky about hardware than PCs. With PCs you can cobble one together from parts laying around and there is a very good chance it will boot. Any drive will work as long as the ports match. That being said that also does leave a lot of room for bugs and glitches. Apple has a relatively closed hardware environment so inherently, it will have less issues. That means you don't have the freedom that PCs allows and you're gonna pay for it with your wallet.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on April 04, 2018, 12:38:30 PMApple has a relatively closed hardware environment so inherently, it will have less issues.
In the early iPad days, that was 100% true with apps between iPads and Android. Nowadays, manufacturers are so on it that an android app will work on most any android device, instead of working on some but not on others. That being said, so long as the hardware isn't too old, chances are there exists a driver to be downloaded to make almost anything run properly.

I have an old laptop that came loaded with Vista that I put W10 on, and the camera doesn't work, nor does the build in SD card reader, and I cannibalized an old box from work and put the tv tuner card in my bar computer, but W10 doesn't have a driver for it, so there are exceptions for everything.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Apple is getting to the point where their memory and hard drives will be soldered in where you can't even do your own upgrades. They already solder (or glue) in the RAM on their newest laptops. Even on their iMacs you can't just swap out the hard drive for a different one. You can buy the kit from MacSales.com with the special sensors but it is still a bitch to get in there to do it. The glass on the iMacs was held in by magnets and was relatively easy to get into but the newer iMacs now use really good double sided sticky tape. You have to have a special cutter to go all around the glass and hopefully you don't cut the camera and microphone wires up at the middle top of the display. Or break the glass. Which Apple will sell you a new one for $150.

Farabomb

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 04, 2018, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 04, 2018, 12:38:30 PMApple has a relatively closed hardware environment so inherently, it will have less issues.
In the early iPad days, that was 100% true with apps between iPads and Android. Nowadays, manufacturers are so on it that an android app will work on most any android device, instead of working on some but not on others. That being said, so long as the hardware isn't too old, chances are there exists a driver to be downloaded to make almost anything run properly.

I have an old laptop that came loaded with Vista that I put W10 on, and the camera doesn't work, nor does the build in SD card reader, and I cannibalized an old box from work and put the tv tuner card in my bar computer, but W10 doesn't have a driver for it, so there are exceptions for everything.

PC's have always had issues with newer OSes and old hardware not having the proper drivers. Now with windows getting rid of legacy support, it's becoming more prevalent. That's part of the reason I still run win7.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Well the article did mention MacBooks and iMacs. Hopefully this is the low end versions whereas the high end and even more pricier versions will still be using Intel. Like everyone else here I think it is a dumb idea to jump back into the CPU market for everything. Low end stuff sure, but high quality production stick with the tried and true Intel chips so we do not have to go back to comparing speeds of an Apple CPU to Intel like we did with the G4's and G5's and all their dual processor goodness.

I just bought a 13" MacBook Pro to replace a 15" early Retina model that has now been relegated to RIP duty powering our ECO wide format and cutter. Runs Windows 7 as a virtual machine very well. Happy I did not need to buy a PC to add to the stable of computers here. Only 2 PC's left in shop and they both have one task, RIP and TIFF catcher.