News:

Main Menu

Any Dropbox users?

Started by Syphon, January 13, 2011, 08:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

So, it seems we have one designer that insists on using DropBox to send us files, which fine. Except...the process is as follows:

1. They stick the file(s) in their DropBox in a Shared Folder
2. They send an invite to the salesperson
3. We log in as that sales person, DL the files, etc.

Now, when that sales person first gets the email/link they invariably want to open the files & look at PDFs, etc. So we all end up downloading the same files over and over. Stupid.

I figured out how to link a Common DropBox on our end with the client's DropBox, so all they have to do is upload the file locally to their DropBox, and it zooms across to ours instantly, like a poor man's FTP. I've also gotten it to use the RSS feeds within DropBox to send notifications to a specific email on my end whenever a transfer is completed. Bad ASS! I'll outline those steps if any body else is interested. Assuming a client already has their DropBox set up, it's not much work at all for them to get it going.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

I hate it when dezingers ask for your ftp and then send you the via via yousendit.com or other. Why ask me if you're going to do your own damn thing anyway?

Then, they'll send you a file with 65 characters in the name for Mac, but it won't load to your server unless you download it on a Windows box. I have two email accounts - one on Mac and one on Windows for just this reason. I end up forwarding files back and forth to myself that won't fit on the server and I don't want to rename them and are too lazy to mount and dismount smb (I can't leave smb active because it messes with Rampage, which has to mount afp).

We have one customer in particular who's bullshit reason is that everything he sends "times out" when uploading to our server. Found out he has a screen saver active that shuts down the hard drive when it kicks in. I keep telling him to deactivate it and keep asking him if he's turned this option off, but he always says he's "too busy" and he'll "get to it later."
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on January 20, 2011, 05:04:15 PMI hate it when dezingers ask for your ftp and then send you the via via yousendit.com or other. Why ask me if you're going to do your own damn thing anyway?

Then, they'll send you a file with 65 characters in the name for Mac, but it won't load to your server unless you download it on a Windows box. I have two email accounts - one on Mac and one on Windows for just this reason. I end up forwarding files back and forth to myself that won't fit on the server and I don't want to rename them and are too lazy to mount and dismount smb (I can't leave smb active because it messes with Rampage, which has to mount afp).

We have one customer in particular who's bullshit reason is that everything he sends "times out" when uploading to our server. Found out he has a screen saver active that shuts down the hard drive when it kicks in. I keep telling him to deactivate it and keep asking him if he's turned this option off, but he always says he's "too busy" and he'll "get to it later."

You can have a share mounted as both AFP and SMB. No need to ever dismount it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Syphon

I have installed Dropbox (free account) and so far I like it. The upload is slow but it seems in my neck of the woods, the internet is a little slow when uploading anything to any website. I set the bandwidth to not limit the upload rate but still a little slow (or maybe its just me). Maybe it will speed up when I move back into the city this summer.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

I've signed up. Am a sucker for this kind of thing.   :laugh:  Works differently to sites like SendSpace, but I'll get used to it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

I might check it out tomorrow. Report forthcoming!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 20, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on January 20, 2011, 05:04:15 PMI hate it when dezingers ask for your ftp and then send you the via via yousendit.com or other. Why ask me if you're going to do your own damn thing anyway?

Are you a Rampage user? It totally f***s with Rampage. Fonts get all goofy. S*** doesn't link right. If you're a Rampage user and it works for you, I'd like to know what version of Rampage, which OS and what tricks you're using (is it simply changing the mounted volume in preferences?).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on January 21, 2011, 09:21:11 AM

Are you a Rampage user? It totally f***s with Rampage. Fonts get all goofy. S*** doesn't link right. If you're a Rampage user and it works for you, I'd like to know what version of Rampage, which OS and what tricks you're using (is it simply changing the mounted volume in preferences?).

No, I'm just saying you can have them both mounted on the desktop. I would assume if they are both mounted Rampage would use the one it likes but I don't know that for sure.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 21, 2011, 10:20:34 AM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on January 21, 2011, 09:21:11 AM

No, I'm just saying you can have them both mounted on the desktop. I would assume if they are both mounted Rampage would use the one it likes but I don't know that for sure.
Yeah... it doesn't... when both are mounted, chaos seems to ensue.

In theory that makes sense. Rampage can only RIP files from the devoted server (i.e. it cannot RIP a file mounted on your desktop, or other non-MAC_VOL server). If the connection is not accurate (afp vs. smb) it won't "see" the volume and hence can't RIP.

But you did get me thinking about setting the smb volume instead of the afp volume in the Rampage preferences, and I bet that fixes the issue. I'll have to test it later when I get a chance.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Joe,

Below are two screen shots... one with Rampage mounted via smb (grayed out) and one via afp (normal). The Rampage preferences only see one RAMVOL - it doesn't differentiate between the two. Any ideas?

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

All I can guess is that Rampage must have using AFP hard coded into their software. If Rampage isn't seeing the volumes it needs via SMB I would guess you will need to keep using AFP for Rampage. I think my point way back was that you can have both mounted so you can copy files from SMB, after shortening the name, to AFP instead of using the email route you said you were using.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 25, 2011, 10:12:12 AMAll I can guess is that Rampage must have using AFP hard coded into their software. If Rampage isn't seeing the volumes it needs via SMB I would guess you will need to keep using AFP for Rampage. I think my point way back was that you can have both mounted so you can copy files from SMB, after shortening the name, to AFP instead of using the email route you said you were using.
No... that was my point! You can't have both volumes mounted or it gets grayed out. You have to demount the smb to use Rampage.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on January 25, 2011, 10:27:16 AM
Quote from: Joe on January 25, 2011, 10:12:12 AMAll I can guess is that Rampage must have using AFP hard coded into their software. If Rampage isn't seeing the volumes it needs via SMB I would guess you will need to keep using AFP for Rampage. I think my point way back was that you can have both mounted so you can copy files from SMB, after shortening the name, to AFP instead of using the email route you said you were using.
No... that was my point! You can't have both volumes mounted or it gets grayed out. You have to demount the smb to use Rampage.

So you can't see the volumes you need through the AFP volume if you have the SMB volume mounted at all? That's screwed up. Never seen anything act that way.

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on January 13, 2011, 08:58:49 PMWell I am thinking of downloading and installing Dropbox for sharing files since Adobe's Acrobat.com has become a paid site.
So anyone here uses Dropbox? What do you think of it? It seems very simple to use and I like the 2 GB free service.

https://www.dropbox.com/

I just ran across this and thought it relevant. I know it's from the evil empire but come on...25 gb of space for FREE.

Windows Live SkyDrive

25 GB of free online storage

Store, access, and share thousands of documents, photos,
and Microsoft Office files on Windows Live SkyDrive.
SkyDrive password-protects your files so you control
who has access to them.

Farabomb

Heh, had it already and didn't even know it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job