Mac Mini-Intel
1 (10%)
iMac 27" i5
1 (10%)
Mac Studio-Base Model
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

AaronH

If you have any apps that worked on Big Sur on an Intel Machine, the M1 should be able to run them. I know Office 365 was intel and had to be installed with Rosetta, but they did come out with a Universal version later on. Same with Adobe. If you have Office 365, it'll install the Universal version.

We have M1 Mini's here at our shop and they are very fast. Got them and 27" 4k monitors for about $1,000 total (already had mice and keyboards) when the M1 Mini's came out and haven't had an issue. Though originally XMF hadn't had a version that would work on Big Sur or M1 at the time and now they do. I think, but could be wrong, that XMF supports Monterey too now.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Tracy

Hey cool Aaron, yes I'm running Big Sur!
good to know someone is running M1

Tracy

I get to purchase the computer today! I'm getting the Mac Studio M1 with the 64gb unified memory
not sure why they don't call it RAM but oh oh well, I'm going to get the Apple Care
should I get the Apple Care on the Monitor too? I think so
I'm going with the 512gb ssd storage

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on October 06, 2022, 11:48:09 AMI get to purchase the computer today! I'm getting the Mac Studio M1 with the 64gb unified memory
not sure why they don't call it RAM but oh oh well, I'm going to get the Apple Care
Color me jealous! I would get the Apple Care. For the price you are paying for the hardware the Apple Care will be worth it if you ever need it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

EmptyWords

Quote from: Tracy on October 06, 2022, 11:48:09 AMI get to purchase the computer today! I'm getting the Mac Studio M1 with the 64gb unified memory
We just bought my coworker one exactly like the one you are buying, also bought him a 32" Samsung monitor along with a Thunderbolt multiport adapter, he's had it since April and loves it, will probably buy another next year to replace one of our folding carton workstations, unless they update the new iMac to have more ram than the measly 16gb the current one has. Hope it goes well for you!!!
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

Possum

They don't call it RAM so they can claim it's something special and proprietary so they can charge you up the wazoo to replace it when it goes tits up.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Macs based on Apple's M1 silicon, has a different type of RAM to what's gone before. This is what Apple is branding 'unified memory', where the RAM is part of the same unit as the processor, the graphics chip and several other key components.

Which in short means you better buy a machine with plenty of "unified memory" because you can't add more later on. 64 GB is plenty. 32 GB is plenty right now but probably won't be in a couple of years so better to get 64 GB now than have to buy a new computer in a couple of years.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on October 06, 2022, 12:48:08 PM
They don't call it RAM so they can claim it's something special and proprietary so they can charge you up the wazoo to replace it when it goes tits up.
Replacing it means a new computer.

Tracy

Thanks for responding! I always think I'm going to make a mistake  :)
yes getting the 64gb unified ram  ;D I need it to fix some crappy bloated files

and Thanks @EmptyWords good to know someone else bought one, sheesh 32" monitor! wowee!
I could never go below 27 at work, I have a 24 at home  ;D

born2print

At work I have dual 24" but I would love bigger. They suffice I guess.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

born2print

LOL, I shouldn't complain about my "48inch" monitor I guess  ;D

Tracy

I have never done the 2 monitor thing, it would be nice, so many tools sitting out.
I'm happy to get a new computer before my computer goes out, because that is a big freakout!

I had a 27inch go out and I took it to the Mac store, I needed a new computer NOW so we had to buy a new computer
Apple couldn't fix the under warranty computer I brought in, so that is when I got 2 brand new 27" iMacs!!

born2print

We've had dual monitors for so long that I don't think I could cope without.

RMPrepress

Definitely at least 2 monitors... actually 3 works even better.
2 x 27 inch and 22 inch here.  3monitorsetup.pdf
A lot less time spent moving apps and windows around.
Work smahtah not hahdeh...I'm from New England...we don't use the "R" up here...LOL.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

David

need a bigger desk....

LOL
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca