News:

Main Menu

Quark 7 PDF's

Started by almaink, February 21, 2008, 07:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Joe, I would be happy to lend it to you if you didn't live so damn far away. My wife does not let me do anything banking related. Just to embarrass her, I'll act like gimp in the bank or grocery store, then start yelling and grunting saying, "I gotta go poop." My kids got into the stocking thing on accident, so I took it a step further and started playing bank robber with them. It's fun, I am not sure what the long-term effects will be, but it's a hoot.
Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

gnubler

You guys are the champions of off-topic vagrancy.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Bates  •  Vorhees  •  Meyers  •  Krueger  •  Hobbs  •  Lecter  •  Dollarhyde  •  Bateman  •  Gumb  •  Doe  •  Morgan •  Todd •  Kevin •  DCS •  Kasem

"Does it really matter? There's shit in the meat and we're all pink inside. Live a little..." The Gnub

"I look forward to the sweet release of death..." Dave, on behalf of all Prepress

Member #285 • OG PH8 • Award-Winning • Population Control Enthusiast • Master of Freehand Jobs • Hater of All • Prodigy of Addition & Subtraction

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

almaink

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1190.msg14307#msg14307 date=1203624546Back to that PDF. When you delete the white line with Pitstop what is under it? The tif or the shadow?

It was under the tif sandwiched between the tiff and shadow. Another odd thing is the shadow was flattened into the blue PMS background color in an unsupported color space. Pit Stop said it was CMYK but Photoshop would not open it to edit from Acrobat until I used Pit Stop to "change" that colors pace to CMYK. Not a big deal to delete it on most of the tifs. The big challenge was on the cover page because the tif itself was flattened into about 20 pieces. Funny thing is using the Acrobat Touch up image tool I was able to open it in Photoshop in one piece and save it as a tif. So after doing that it was a simple matter to just delete it from the PDF along with the white box and reassemble the whole mess in InDesign. I asked the designer to do me a favor and try this test for me.
Step and repeat the tif image in place, then delete he tif leaving just the picture box, drag that box in just a hair on all sides and fill it with white and send it behind the tif. No apply the shadow and export the sucker as a PDF.
Interested to see if this will work. It's a variation of the old trick in Quack 4 for fake duo-tones.
Any way you look at it though it's extra work for something that InDesign has no problem with.
IMO any designer who would buy Quack, when the CS suite is available, is just not doing their homework...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on February 21, 2008, 02:51:31 PMYou guys are the champions of off-topic vagrancy.

Thank you.
Mac OS Monterey 12.4 | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: almaink on February 21, 2008, 03:03:17 PMAny way you look at it though it's extra work for something that InDesign has no problem with.
IMO any designer who would buy Quack, when the CS suite is available, is just not doing their homework...

Agreed. I have people ask me which they should buy and I always say InDesign. Actually I say Creative Suite because you get ID, Illy, PS, and Acrobat. Most people take my advice but there are a few that don't because they are hell bent on sticking with Quark. And then stuff like this happens every single time.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Me too! I have had good luck with switching people over, but there are the occassional moron's out there that refuse to accept that Quark IS DEAD!

almaink

Update on the problem. I just talked to the designer and she also made the tif image 70% transparent in Quack!
She said "I don't like to have to open up Photoshop when I can do it in Quack"! No wonder it had issues. drop shadows are one thing but manipulating an image in a page layout program is just asking for trouble, remember Quack Vista?
I give the Fxxx up. Thanks for looking and offering suggestions tho...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: almaink on February 21, 2008, 03:29:29 PMUpdate on the problem. I just talked to the designer and she also made the tif image 70% transparent in Quack!
She said "I don't like to have to open up Photoshop when I can do it in Quack"! No wonder it had issues. drop shadows are one thing but manipulating an image in a page layout program is just asking for trouble, remember Quack Vista?

LOL...but her last printer never had any problems! :axe:

DigitalCrapShoveler

... and it looks good on her screen. Shhhheeesh!

hotmetal

Ok, glad we got that figured out!

Beer time!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

This is the most action the Quark category has ever received here in one day I think.

DigitalCrapShoveler

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe  on February 21, 2008, 03:32:09 PM
Quote from: almaink on February 21, 2008, 03:29:29 PMUpdate on the problem. I just talked to the designer and she also made the tif image 70% transparent in Quack!

LOL...but her last printer never had any problems! :axe:

customer just said the exact same thing to me yesterday about her Quark 6.5 file..   she has been converted to Indesign.  :evil:

she came by to go over some issues we were having with her file, fonts, RGB images, you name it, it was wrong..   I bit a damn hole through my tongue when she told me other printers had NEVER had any problems with her file...

it took all of 5 minutes and showing her just a couple of things in Indesign, and she said, "Well, I have been thinking of switching over anyway, just been scared to make the jump into learning a WHOLE NEW APP"...  :rolleyes:  all it took was showing her they really arent all that different, and she bit, hook line and sinker..    Sorry Quark!(no Im not)

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley